Author Topic: bandsaw  (Read 5264 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
bandsaw
« on: November 16, 2016, 12:56:54 AM »
A new bandsaw!  Some of you may recognize it...  A 1942 36" Tannewitz.  Weighs in at a mere 2900 lbs.  My current bandsaw is undersized for production cutting maple planks.  I think this old iron could be addicting...

Offline James

Re: bandsaw
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 01:01:25 AM »
That might fill that new shop.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

pushboater

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 01:04:30 AM »
That is one awesome bandsaw! That should do the trick. When I first saw it the first thing I thought of was Tim "the tool man" Taylor!  Big is Better!

David

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 01:09:23 AM »
Boy, that is a big one. How many horsepower and how many phases?

Offline PPatch

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 01:19:03 AM »
Thirty-six incher - that will get the job done! Nice find Jim, I'm sure Katherine can move it into the shop, no problem.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 01:28:22 AM »
It has a 5 HP motor, but by today's ratings I think it would be considerably more.  It's 3 phase machine.  I have a rotary phase converter that's that will take care of that.  It stands a little over 9 ft tall.  It will re-saw close to 20" as well!  A pretty serious machine.  It's interesting that this basic design is still being made today by Tannewitz.

I would love to take every piece apart, strip it, repaint it and just basically make it like new or better, but no time for that.  Maybe someday...

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 01:34:58 AM »
But Jim,
That saw is too big to cut those dainty, skinny, little mountain rifles. Oh I get it, you're going to cut 10 at a time. ;D

dave
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 01:35:25 AM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 02:17:05 AM »
But Jim,
That saw is too big to cut those dainty, skinny, little mountain rifles. Oh I get it, you're going to cut 10 at a time. Grin

dave
or maybe he is working on a punt or wall gun kit ;D
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 03:58:13 AM »
Do you have to buy blade material on a roll and weld it together?  There was a saw where I used to work like that.  It had it's own blade welder on it.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline draken

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 11:52:46 AM »
Back in the 1950's my dad was Production Manager at a factory that made rather large industrial sifters for flour mills.  The company had two of those big saws in the woodworking dept.  As near as I can remember one was was identical to the one one your trailer while the other was a close copy manufactured in-house. 

Most people I've mentioned those bandsaws to over the years think I'm exaggerating their size.

Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 03:31:14 PM »
It has a 5 HP motor, but by today's ratings I think it would be considerably more.  It's 3 phase machine.  I have a rotary phase converter that's that will take care of that.  It stands a little over 9 ft tall.  It will re-saw close to 20" as well!  A pretty serious machine.  It's interesting that this basic design is still being made today by Tannewitz.

I would love to take every piece apart, strip it, repaint it and just basically make it like new or better, but no time for that.  Maybe someday...

I wonder if Tannewitz is still around in this country.When I was in High School in the early 1950's
the wood shop at Huntington High school had a Tannewitz bandsaw that was about 7 feet tall with
big wheels.The now middle aged son of the wood shop teacher now has it in his cabinet shop.
I don't remember where they were made but it sure wasn't CHINA in that version of America.

Bob Roller

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 05:26:58 PM »

I wonder if Tannewitz is still around in this country.When I was in High School in the early 1950's
the wood shop at Huntington High school had a Tannewitz bandsaw that was about 7 feet tall with
big wheels.The now middle aged son of the wood shop teacher now has it in his cabinet shop.
I don't remember where they were made but it sure wasn't CHINA in that version of America.

Bob Roller

According to their website, they're still made in Michigan.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 06:39:00 PM »
 Awesome!

Tim

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 10:40:06 PM »
Jim it puts my table top to shame by 6 feet. Lol

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 11:31:47 PM »
And you can always use it to butcher a mastodon or similar critter.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2016, 11:34:02 PM »
I also remember one of those in my highschool wood shop.One heck of a piece of machinery.

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 01:24:29 AM »
Jim, you might be interested in this site if you haven't discovered it already:

www.owwm.org

Dale H

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 02:41:19 AM »
Yeah, Tannewitz is still in business, though I'm sure much smaller.  I think they're located in Grand Rapids, Michigan.  There sure is some great workmanship in this machine.  Even though it has some cosmetic issues, it's super solid and I think it will work well. 

Thanks for that link.  I'll be spending some time there.  I've been checking out the vintage machinery site, but this one looks really good as well.  It would be fun to restore these great old machines, just like a classic car.  Some I've seen are far better than new when complete.  Fun stuff...

Jim