Author Topic: Rifle building class 2016  (Read 2845 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Rifle building class 2016
« on: November 29, 2016, 08:10:18 PM »
The first kit rifle building class held at my shop in Warrior Alabama was a great success. I had 5 registered students but had a couple to drop out at the last moment but the 3 that came had a great time. We completed assembly of two of the projects and almost got the third completed. We shot Boyd's rifle before he left going home and we had Joe's ready to shoot before we quit on the last day but we were both done in from the building process so Joe decided to wait until he got home to shoot his fowler.

All of the kits we worked on were Jim Chambers kits and they went together very well. There is still a lot of work to do on these but if you put the time in you can get them assembled in a weeks time as we proved in the class.

The class went so well that I have decided to hold 4 classes next year.  Two of the classes will be kit building, a basic longrifle carving class and a beginner hammer and chisel engraving class. Each class can hold up to 5 students.

Here is a list of the dates for the classes.

Rifle Building from a kit - March 6th through the 10th

Rifle Carving - May 15th through the 19th

Rifle Building from a kit - July 17th through the 21st

H&C beginner engraving - October 2nd through the 6th

For more information on the classes contact me at calvarylongrifles@gmail.com

Here are a few pictures from the first class

Travis, Boyd and Joe students of the first class

Joe filing a draft on his lock plate

Boyd work on his lock

Joe's fowler project

Boyd's left handed Haine's project

Travis's Lancaster project
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

B Staley

Re: Rifle building class 2016
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 10:15:10 PM »
It was a great learning experience makes me want to build another......:) Jim's hospitality was top notch.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 03:07:26 AM »
Jim,

Glad it went well.

Hope your success continues.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 04:35:42 AM »
That's great Jim. Glad to here you helped them along to that point. That's a lot of hours for ones first or second build!!! Congratulations to the guys but be fore warned - its addicting!! Just ask all the folks at the Bowling Green seminars. Jim and Celeste are the best!!!
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 06:07:46 PM »
Thanks guys for the great comments. The class was a lot of fun and I learned a good bit myself. Being the first class it was not quite as organized as I wanted but I think that will improve with the next class. The main thing was that the guys had fun and gathered the confience needed to assemble a rifle.

Joe was so wound up that when he got home he had a Lancaster kit that was gathering dust and he jumed right on it and I think has finished it along with his Fowler. I thought that was fantastic.

Darren, Celeste had almost as much fun as I did putting on this class. She felt like she was running a bed and breakfast, she had all the bedrooms decked out with little baskets of treats and bottled water for the guys. She loves to play hostess.

I have already had a good responce for the March class with 3 wanting to take the it. So I am hopeful that the other classes do as well.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"