Author Topic: 4 bore Boller  (Read 5794 times)

zimmerstutzen

4 bore Boller
« on: January 15, 2017, 12:16:26 AM »
While traditional in central Europe, Bollers are only rarely encountered here.  (an 19th century original in terrible shape, broken lock and with a bronze barrel sold for over $500 on gunbroker three years ago)  My barrel was made from a solid piece of 4140   round stock 2.25 inches in diameter.  and ten inches long.    I have a nice cherry plank only 18 inches long,  that I cut myself here on the farm about 15 years ago, it has been air dying up in the barn all that time.  For a lock, I have an old large  Jager style lock.  I made arrangements to have a short extension welded onto the sear arm so the trigger can still be mounted in the center of the three inch thick stock.     Finding pictures of originals is difficult even on the net.   I have even been watching on the European egun auction site.   Is anyone else familiar with these? 

Online Justin Urbantas

Re: 4 bore Boller
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 02:51:08 AM »

Offline Shovelbuck

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 03:19:34 AM »
WOW!!!!!! :o
I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 03:31:01 AM »
Looks like a fun time,a true hand cannon.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 03:46:10 AM »
Why are they plugging the barrel with a wedge driven in with a mallet?  Seems very unsafe to deliberately create a bore obstruction.

Offline coopersdad

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 04:35:27 AM »
I'd guess to create enough pressure for a bigger report?  In any case those wood plugs and wedges must be raining down  on those houses down below.  Unless they splinter into little bits.  Then still they could put someone's eye out.... ;D   And now I want one of those. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 04:36:17 AM by coopersdad »
Mike Westcott

zimmerstutzen

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 05:22:03 AM »
They are using mallets to drive corks down on the powder.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 06:32:28 AM »
Time marker 50 seconds is clearly a square wedge. He is hammering it into the muzzle.  It is must shorter than the bore length.  Sure looks like a deliberate bore obstruction.  The guy also has his face over the muzzle when he dumps the powder in. 

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 06:42:49 AM by Scota4570 »

Offline coopersdad

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 08:16:00 AM »
Zimmerstutzen, are these purely ceremonial or an adaptation of some earlier form of weapon?
Mike Westcott

Online Justin Urbantas

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 09:21:58 AM »
the wood probably acts a a projectile would. Gives it some pressure to go boom instead of whoosh.

zimmerstutzen

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 03:07:07 PM »
they are mostly ceremonial.  Back in the late middle ages, the folks in the small mountain valleys, in times of trouble, would place sentries at the Mountain passes to sound the alarm in the event an enemy army was approaching.  There came a time when a device much like a cross between a cannon and a thunder mug was used to sound the alarm by sending the boom echoing down the valley.  The practice evolved into using such guns for salutes. Such as to announce to the valley people that their prince is coming and they should turn out to greet him.  That is sort of the idea of having the salute on Christmas eve at sunset.  It announces the coming of the Christ child.  Such salutes are also fired to open festivals, special seasonal markets, like the Christkindlmarkt.  They also have meets and a sort of competition firing their salute guns.  The club in Bergtesgaden has 1200 shooting members.   Some clubs trace their origins back to the early 1800's and one can trace the salute gun use in their town to the 1600's.   In northern Italy, there are groups that use massive muzzle loader salute guns, weighing 60 pounds and up.  The big ones are called Trombini and there are clubs that fire salutes for holidays.  There are also groups march and drill like a marching band that shoot salute guns called pistonieri.  they sometimes demonstrate at big soccer stadiums like a half time show.

In germany and Austria, there are 4 types of Boller.  The hand held, called a handboller., a short barreled rifle type called a Schaftboller and huge thunder mug types called Standboller., lastly come salute cannons (Kannone)   Salutes became so popular and common, that in one  area of Germany, called Frankonia, salute pistols were referred to as "wedding pistols."   Such alarm was caused to the populace due to the shooting, the gov't passed rules restricting when and where and during what hours salutes could be fired.    In Bavaria, the guns must be proof tested at a government lab every 5 years.   Shooters, by law, must also attend and pass a full days' safety class to particpate.      Groups generally have a uniform sometimes modern sometimes traditional, and a captain who calls out the orders to fire. 

http://www.boeller-pfnuer.de/       is a maker similar to our long rifle makers

(trombini)

(pistonieri)

(they even have Bubba in Holland on New Years day)

http://www.boellerkaiser.de/shop/index.php?page=produkte&cat=5         (their style of thunder mug, uses musket caps and a pull cord for ignition.)

Offline coopersdad

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 06:47:53 PM »
Very interesting!  Culture and traditions I'd never heard of.
Mike Westcott

Smoketown

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 02:05:05 AM »
And they were not used just for signaling ...   ;)

http://peashooter85.tumblr.com/post/85872616147/the-roar-of-the-trombini-originally-trombini/embed

Cheers,
Smoketown