Author Topic: Additional books/dvd's for beginner  (Read 3196 times)

saltland

Additional books/dvd's for beginner
« on: January 16, 2017, 04:19:19 AM »
 I've purchased Gunsmith of Grenville county,RCA #1 #2,and Recreating the American Longrifle.I also plan on getting the DVD on building Jim Chambers kit(I plan to buy one of his kits).What other books or DVD's would you suggest...also books on carving/engraving.The plan is over the next 6-9 months study as much as possible/practice some carving etc so when I finally inform my wife of my new not so cheap hobby it will not seem so overwhelming.Basically atleast have as solid a background in study as possible for a rookie.
 Thoughts?
   Scott

Smoketown

Re: Additional books/dvd's for beginner
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 04:54:42 AM »
Scott,

Exactly which one of Jim Chambers kits are looking at?

Resources for the type/school may also be available and possibly of more value than the general 'how to' instructions.

Photos of originals and contemporary builds are in the archives on this very forum not to mention, the artists themselves tend to be a helpful bunch.   ;)

Cheers,
Smoketown

saltland

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 05:27:00 AM »
Hi Smoketown,
    Living in central PA. I lean towards an Isaac Haines or Edward Marshall.
 Scott

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 05:37:12 AM »
Saltland,
you've got the basics, and they will see you through the nuts and bolts of your build.  Here are a few suggestions, broken down into different subject areas:

Engraving:
"Engraving Historic Firearms" by John Schippers.  This book is great for learning engraving, and also has some fantastic photographs of more than just engraving.  It also will give you a primer on rococo design. 
Both Jack Brooks and Wallace Gussler have engraving videos.  Both are good, and watching someone do it is the next best thing to personal instruction.

Carving:
Gunsmith of Grenville County gives you a good, short start on that.
There are several videos out there, to include Jack Brooks' video and several others.  Look at American Pioneer Videos. 

Building:
Look through the tutorial section of this forum.  There is some amazing stuff in there. 
Also, if you want to build a rifle that looks right, then you must spend a lot of time looking at original rifles either in person or in pictures.  Spend a lot of time looking, really looking, at the architecture and details of rifles.  RCA Vol I,II are great resources.  Also spend lots of time here in the ALR library, again looking at the particular details of the school of rifle you intend to emulate. 

Slow down.  Study the proper order of building and then think about what you are going to do.  Read the section of your book, and then do it. 
When in doubt, ask questions here. 

Let us know how your build goes!

Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

saltland

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 05:56:37 AM »
 Actually Schippers book "Engraving Historic Firearms"despite the price is on my list.As far as tutorials...Mike Brooks was excellent.I felt a little intimidated reading "Gunsmith of Grenville county" but after that tutorial things made so much more sense.One reference book I was going to purchase back in 2010 but didn't was "Moravian Gunmaking in the American Revolution"...which is impossible to find now.May have come in handy for Christian Springs build.I'll continue studying the various info/photos in the museum section etc.
 Thanks,
   Scott

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 06:16:13 AM »
Scott,
I missed the boat on getting the Moravian gun book too.  Really wish I had it.  You can get all or most (not sure) of the photos on CD from the Kentucky Rifle Association.  They have several CDs with photos of original rifles, and one of them is on Moravian guns.  I have that CD and it is great. 

The other thing I forgot to mention is that there are classes available out there, if you have the time and the budget.  Your learning curve will go much steeper if you get to go to one of the classes.  The added benefit is seeing other rifles and meeting other builders and exchanging techniques and ideas. 
The NMLRA offers a workshop each year in June, registration ends on 4 February.  See the sticky post at the top of this forum for it.  I've been once, and it is amazing.
Also, Bama on this forum has started doing a gun building class, I believe he is doing kit building classes, such as Chamber's kits etc.  I have not been, but seen that guys who went loved it.  I think he has posted about a new class this year. 

Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline Wolfshead

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 03:16:57 PM »
Scott,

I am just beginning a Jim Chambers "Isaac Haines" kit.
I have to say that I am very pleased with it's quality, and I am sure you will be with which ever kit you decide on as well.
I would recommend getting both of the DVDs that Jim offers. They are both very, very good and they both offer a little different way on how to approach the build.

I started a post "My parts kit arrived today!"
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=42549.0

I posted a couple of pictures of the resources that I have collected that I feel have helped me. Again, each one has their own way about doing things and, I believe, have one or two little things that the others don't. So each one is important in their own right.
I like having the different perspectives and points of view and emphasis.

I also what to emphasize the "FREE" value of this site! With all the tutorials, posts, pictures, and experienced advise you potentially will receive. Nowhere is there a greater source of knowledgable information so freely given that I have found.

I would love to take a class but that is a year or two in the future after I retire....
Good luck with your build

Doug

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 03:32:18 PM »
Hershel Houses' video at american pioneer and Wallace Guslers' dvd on carving are both essential for skills and fun to watch.  Jim Turpin has has both a Chambers kit dvd and another on building in general.

Don't forget YouTube.  You can latch onto Homer Dangler and Mike DeBellevue.

If you're in Central PA, and have not gone over to Dixons to buy the big blue book and maybe meet Chuck or talk to Greg, then you're remiss.

The important thing is that these and the other videos are not only fun to watch, but also fun to go back and refer to.

Your journey just gets better as you move down the trail.

Don't shoot yorwe eye out, kid

The Capgun Kid

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 04:42:30 PM »
Scott, another interesting  option might be getting back issues of Muzzleloader magazine. In the past, they  used to have interesting and useful articles with all sort of ideas and building tips, submitted by many different builders. Basically the Gunsmith of Grenville County is just a compendium of  articles written by Peter Alexander. However many other very talented builders shared their techniques as well. They even used to have a specific column devoted just to builders submitting tips and ideas which is still very useful. Not so much "How to build a Longrifle" type articles but handy little shop tips on very specific problems which we have all run across. Lately, that magazine has become more focused on historical articles or glossy photographs of very high end custom builders,  and seems to be drifting away from the actual building and shooting of muzzleloaders, but it is very high quality and a good read none the less. Just don't expect much building advice any more. I started building rifles in the 1970's when it was pretty much a figure it out as you went deal  but I still think that is the best way to learn. I started out building from a blank as the kits back then were not very good. Just start building, learn something from each build, keep your first several projects relatively simple, seek out advice when you need and think things through first. If there is anyway you could attend a NMLRA seminar at WKU, you will save yourself a lot of money in the long run by avoiding costly mistakes. If you like building guns, it is like heaven on earth and worth every penny spent. If the wife complains about the price of your hobby, you could try saying you are thinking of getting an apartment for your mistress, she might not complain that much then about your gun building expenses. Just an idea.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 06:16:33 PM »
  Saltland try an attend shows. Handle an photograph as many guns as you can. Don't just do the side views but the top an bottom as well. This will show the lines of the gun. The slimmest of the forearm an butt area from there forward. Most books don't do this. Believe that is why most newbies. Leave to much wood on there first couple of guns. I know I did. Hope this helps....Mike

Smoketown

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 06:46:01 PM »
Hey saltland,

How far a drive is this from your "Central PA" location?

http://www.18thcenturyartisanshow.com/

Some GREAT artisans will be there.

Cheers,
Smoketown

saltland

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 08:23:53 PM »
 Thanks everybody for the tips.
Wolfshead...actually I've been following your thread.Nice work..very helpful.I may shoot you a PM at some point with specific questions if you don't mind.
 Smoketown....about 1 1/4 hrs...plan to attend with my wife on friday.Over the years I've considered going but didn't...now I have more motivation.
 Scott
 PS My wife and i have stopped there many times heading north on various vacations.Big plus my wife LOVES the gift shop!Plus the angina inducing bfast buffet is great!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 08:34:26 PM by saltland »