Author Topic: Jeager Buttplate  (Read 2872 times)

Offline WKevinD

Jeager Buttplate
« on: January 07, 2017, 06:20:32 PM »
I tried this in the classified section with no responses so I thought I'd try here.

I have had a Jeager build on hold for a few months waiting for a buttplate ( https://www.trackofthewolf.com/imgPart/bp-jaeg-4-i_1.jpg ). I have a brass one but this is an iron mounted rifle.
A few months ago TOW listed this as "Due in 30 days", now it's listed as "Backordered"
I'm hoping someone has one to sell or trade (for the brass one)
I've checked the other usual vendors but have found nothing.

Kevin

If this cross posting is inappropriate please delete
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Online Hungry Horse

Re: Jeager Buttplate
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 07:39:16 PM »
Kevin you are not alone. Hopefully you will fare better with TOW than I did. A distinctive trigger guard they offered years ago inspired me to build a rifle around it. But, when I ordered the parts set the trigger guard was back ordered. I worked on the gun for several month, while waiting for the guard, only to be told it had been discontinued. I finished the gun, but always had a sour taste in my mouth when shooting it, so I sold it. I still use TOW but specify all or nothing when ordering a parts set.

Hungry Horse

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 07:49:27 PM »
The catalog lists all sorts of items which are no longer available. If the parts aren't in stock, don'y count on getting them. I always call and check and only place an order for what they actually have.  I've gone on line to check items, and if they aren't listed as in stock over a period of 90 days or more, I just cross them out of my catalog.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 10:03:54 PM »
Well, if they don't ever get them back in stock, it looks like a pretty simple buttplate to forge out. If you don't have access to a forge, you might think about commissioning one from someone who does. I'd offer myself, but my forge time is limited and I don't know when I'd be able to do it...also, I'm not a very good blacksmith.  :P
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 07:14:12 AM »
I was hoping it was going to be easy...never is.
I just figured that someone else has as much inventory an me but with the right part that I don't have.
I at least have a brass one that I can use for a pattern when I try to make it.
Thanks for looking.
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline heinz

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 04:20:30 PM »
Kevin, my 1750ish Jaeger has no buttplate. There is a heel cap out of silver. I am working on a similar rifle for my grandson using a steel heel cap.
Pictures of the original are posted on the Contemporary Makers blog under "Antique Jaeger"
kind regards, heinz

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 03:49:39 PM »
If you haven't already, you might try Tip Curtis, he usually has a lot of buttplates in stock.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt