Author Topic: More swivel breech work  (Read 3029 times)

Offline Firelock

More swivel breech work
« on: February 17, 2017, 11:19:44 PM »
I'm plugging along on the swivel breech rifle kit from David Price.

Today I got the left side fore stock into rough shape...planed the edges of the panel, installed the forward thimbles and whipped the ramrod into shape.

Offline Justin Urbantas

Re: More swivel breech work
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 12:38:02 AM »
looking good. How are the barrels held together? The brass squares are holding the thimbles in?

Offline Firelock

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 02:04:36 AM »
The barrels are soldered. The scrap brass is securing the thimbles and the nose cap until I can fit the for stock on the other side and install some silver inlays to act as escutceons for the thimble bolts.

The thimbles and bolts are what hold the fore stock panels on both sides in place.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 02:08:06 AM »
Very interesting. And how do the barrels attach to the action on the breech end?

Offline lexington1

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 04:03:44 AM »
Looking good. I just reworked one that someone had built from a kit and now have a much deeper appreciation for them  ;D  I can tell you there isn't very much wood to work with on those panels! These are great little guns and I can't wait to try mine out this year for hunting.

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 04:29:22 AM »
Firelock,
Looks like you are doing a good job.  I have just reciently  put up some tutorials on my web site for finishing
my swivel breach kit.  They may be helpful to you.  My web site is  (www,davidpriceflintlocks.com)  Also feel
free to call me on the phone if you have any questions about putting the kit togeather.

I would like to post some pictures of what it takes from start to finish to build the swivel  breach kit.
I have posted many pictures in the past but since I have purchased a new computer I can't seem to make it work.
I know that this computer hates me almost as much as I hate it.    Jon Rider  (Kingsbury arms ) is coming to my shop for a visit next week  and I will ask him to help me out .  I think that some of you would find it interesting.

I have built over seventy swivel breach rifle kits, some of which I have finished myself.  I will be eighty years old
on my next birthday and I don't think that I will be doing any more swivel breach rifle kits.  I have four more kits
that I will be finishing myself and I think that will be the last for me.

I don't reply much on ALR any more but I do look at the site very often.

David Price

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 05:34:49 AM »
Dave.
  Real nice to hear from you  old man.  Looks like we will be the same age. 
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 08:54:20 AM »
Firelock,
Looks like you are doing a good job.  I have just reciently  put up some tutorials on my web site for finishing
my swivel breach kit.  They may be helpful to you.  My web site is  (www,davidpriceflintlocks.com)  Also feel
free to call me on the phone if you have any questions about putting the kit togeather.

I would like to post some pictures of what it takes from start to finish to build the swivel  breach kit.
I have posted many pictures in the past but since I have purchased a new computer I can't seem to make it work.
I know that this computer hates me almost as much as I hate it.    Jon Rider  (Kingsbury arms ) is coming to my shop for a visit next week  and I will ask him to help me out .  I think that some of you would find it interesting.

I have built over seventy swivel breach rifle kits, some of which I have finished myself.  I will be eighty years old
on my next birthday and I don't think that I will be doing any more swivel breach rifle kits.  I have four more kits
that I will be finishing myself and I think that will be the last for me.

I don't reply much on ALR any more but I do look at the site very often.

David Price
Dave - I tried looking for info to purchase one of you SB kits on you web site but I came up empty handed -- can you direct me to where the info is on them?
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 04:15:11 PM »
Happy to help you out David - Videos, Pictures and tutorials are a great help!!!! - Jon