Author Topic: Sile NY/Investarms "Hawken"  (Read 2069 times)

Offline grabenkater

Sile NY/Investarms "Hawken"
« on: February 21, 2017, 02:59:43 PM »
I picked up two rifles for my sons this past weekend. Included in the deal was a SILES NY "Hawken" imported from Italy. It looks nearly identical if not identical to the Cabelas Investarms Hawken. Some one in the past had rounded off the nipple to the point that I had to drill it out but the remains of the stainless steel are still stuck in the threads on the snail. I am planning on simply retapping and installing a nipple but Track of the Wolf had very little helpful information on retapping, unknown to what size I needed.

Can anyone offer information on what size to use?
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
Re: Sile NY/Investarms "Hawken"
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 04:00:06 PM »
I'd call Track and ask the thread pitch and size. It'll require a trip to the hardware for a metric tap, but little else. Go slow and use tapping oil and it should come out fine.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 04:22:44 PM »
I picked up two rifles for my sons this past weekend. Included in the deal was a SILES NY "Hawken" imported from Italy. It looks nearly identical if not identical to the Cabelas Investarms Hawken. Some one in the past had rounded off the nipple to the point that I had to drill it out but the remains of the stainless steel are still stuck in the threads on the snail. I am planning on simply retapping and installing a nipple but Track of the Wolf had very little helpful information on retapping, unknown to what size I needed.

Can anyone offer information on what size to use?

A #3 drill and a 1/4x28 tap will cure it. I know you go to school here and have my phone # so
give me a call and I'll see what can be done for it.

Bob Roller

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 04:24:17 PM »
Thanks, Bob! I will certainly be in touch.
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline delivered

• Old Hawkeye :(
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 05:42:29 PM »
Kain's in West Virginia  has oversize nipples; I just bought some a few week ago.
"Ruining the future for liberals, one child at a time."

Turtle

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 12:31:49 AM »
some siles has chrome bores
                        Turtle