Author Topic: Ramrods  (Read 3102 times)

flintster

Ramrods
« on: February 20, 2017, 11:13:56 PM »
Hi guys,  I have a question regarding ramrods. Were the ramrods from the 18th century made as we see so many made today with the business end of the rod at the muzzle so that the rod has to be turned around 180 degrees to ram a ball down and reversed again to put it back in the gun? This seems like a lot of unnecessary action when your life was on the line . Or were they made so that one could withdraw the rod and immediately ram a ball home without the added effort swapping ends to load the gun. Also, were ramrods from this period tapered or mainly straight. Thanks for any info.

Offline Daryl

Re: Ramrods
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 11:54:57 PM »
My rods come out of the tube and down onto the ball - no twirling of the rod in the air to swap ends.  I used to do that, but do not any more.

Hatchet-Jack turns his rod to ram the ball down his smoothbore while I don't when loading my rifle.  Both using patched round balls, loading is fairly even, time wise. Neither one of us is rushing- just normal loading.
The tapered or not, is a good observation.  The rod I am using is not tapered, while his is. The grossly tapered rod for my 48" .50 barrel is tapered, from 5/16" to 7/16".  I do not turn it around when loading, but I do choke up on it for short strokes so I don't break it.  48" flawless hickory rods are not easily acquired here in the North.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 01:45:15 AM »
For my take on this is that the web thickness between the bottom of the barrel and the front lock bolt will be a tight fit for a full diameter ram rod so the end of the rod going into the forearm will be smaller that the end towards the muzzle plus the ram rod will have a flaired end to seat on the ball during it's way to push the ball down the barrel. My two cents worth here ;).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 09:44:45 PM »
I taper my rods so I'm a "twirler".  They are usually tight enough so it requires a little too much effort to pull them out unless they are tapered.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline bones92

• I'm broke, and I blame Mike Brooks!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 09:49:13 PM »
My limited observation of original rods is that many are tapered, with the thick end at the muzzle when stowed, and the rod is flipped around because the thick end is stronger for starting the ball.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 12:33:23 AM »
My limited observation of original rods is that many are tapered, with the thick end at the muzzle when stowed, and the rod is flipped around because the thick end is stronger for starting the ball.
This. Look at originals with worms on the end. I don't think they were using that small twist of metal to ram a charge down. Or button heads on metal rods, or brass and iron caps on earlier military muskets, or small metal discs on the end of rods dating to the seventeenth century. Pretty sure it was common to twirl do load.
Greg

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 05:19:23 AM »
I'm a "twirler" too for all the reasons already given.

flintster

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 07:13:51 PM »
Thank you guys for the info, I also twirl the rod.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 10:17:13 PM »
I don't - waste of time.  If I used tight loads, I'd probably have to twirl the rod as well. LOL
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline draken

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 08:51:38 AM »
I don't remember when I stopped "twirling", but arthritis hadn't set in yet.  :-\ 
My ramrods start out at 3/8" and taper down to 5/16" with a brass or steel ramrod tip for starting the ball.

Choke up on the rod and push the ball down with short strokes and you won't break the rod.
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!