Author Topic: slotting of under lugs  (Read 4136 times)

Offline hortonstn

slotting of under lugs
« on: February 21, 2017, 09:20:36 PM »
how long of a slot does an underlug for a swamped barrel need to be?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: slotting of under lugs
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 09:40:56 PM »
I'm no expert; but it shouldn't have to be much.  I use a "wire saw" and just get them oval.  Most of mine already came nicely slotted.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

g2608671@verizon.net

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 09:55:22 PM »
Why does the underlug on a swamped barrel need to be slotted?  Excuse my ignorance, but I am about to embark on building a rifle with a swamped barrel and I know just enough about the process to be a danger to myself.
I know that on the last Traditions I put together that had I slotted the underlugs (fore and aft) I would have gotten a better fit where the stock joins in front of the trigger guard.  They would have drawn up tighter.

Offline EC121

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 10:10:14 PM »
It allows for the barrel to expand and contract without binding while shooting.  Also the wood can move without pulling on the barrel.
Brice Stultz

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 12:52:28 AM »
i read a post on another sight by a well known barrel maker that compared it to a snake swallowing eggs.
if thats what i need for accuracy im in its about barrel harmonics..
thanks
paul

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 02:21:03 AM »
You need to allow for the expansion and contraction of the forearm with the seasons.   I can get up to an 1/8" of movement at the muzzle over the course of a year in my house.   I normally cut a slot that is three times the diameter of the pin.   I normally use 5/64" pins.    How far either way I cut the slot around the hole drilled for the pin depends on the season.   If Spring or Fall, I cut the slot equidistant.   If Summer or Winter,  I cut the slot all one way or the other depended on the way it will move.     If  Winter, the forearm will expand.  If Summer, the forearm will contract.   I hope that makes sense.   I cut the slots with a jewelers saw.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 02:22:34 AM by Mark Elliott »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 02:51:43 AM »
I use a "wire saw" and just get them oval.
What is a "wire saw" and what size is it?
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 03:01:09 AM »
how long of a slot does an underlug for a swamped barrel need to be?

Slotting the underlugs should be done with straight barrels too.  It's about the wood expanding and contracting.  The wood don't care what kinda barrel it is ;)

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline RAT

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 11:56:48 PM »
I remember a previous post that discussed slotting vs. simply drilling a hole. The general consensus was that nobody had seen an original where the underlug was slotted... unless of course where wedges or keys were used instead of pins. Some posters said they didn't slot their lugs and never had a problem. Is this a modern overthinking of a problem that doesn't really exist? Or the natural evolution of techniques over time where we know more and do things better as a result?
Bob

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 12:07:07 AM »
On the original rifles that I have seen,  the holes for pins were at least a little oversized.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 02:03:24 AM »
I have never seen slotted cross pin holes on an original. I try to remember to slot them before I finish a rifle but to be honest I have only remembered to do it on 2 or 3 and I have never see or heard of a problem.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 02:28:06 AM »
I haven't seen elongated holes on originals either, but I have seen alot of cracked forestocks on old guns. I don't slot my holes untill I'm just about finishing up the gun. Many times the pins are severely bent from the wood either shrinking or expanding whilst I was building the gun. Ever try driving a bent pin through that hole? I have had the bent pin break out of the forestock on the far side where it wasn't supposed to be. :o

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 05:11:59 AM »
I haven't seen elongated holes on originals either, but I have seen alot of cracked forestocks on old guns. I don't slot my holes untill I'm just about finishing up the gun. Many times the pins are severely bent from the wood either shrinking or expanding whilst I was building the gun. Ever try driving a bent pin through that hole? I have had the bent pin break out of the forestock on the far side where it wasn't supposed to be. :o
Thanks for sharing one of your gun aging secrets.  :o  How many other screw ups have you converted to patina? ::)
David
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 06:59:08 AM by David Rase »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 04:46:13 PM »
Thanks for sharing one of your gun aging secrets.  :o  How many other screw ups have you converted to patina? ::)
David
Ah.....pretty much the whole build sometimes. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?