Author Topic: Southern mountain rifle?  (Read 5273 times)

Smokey Plainsman

Southern mountain rifle?
« on: March 07, 2017, 09:13:45 PM »
Well hello all! This is my first post.

I am looking on info on where to buy or commission the making of a plain Southern style "mountain rifle". I'd like the most basic of things, something with a plain maple stock with browned iron mountings and lock, and a .45 caliber slow twist barrel for round ball shooting. Maybe a grease hole in the stock, that's it. I am not a builder myself since I live in a small apartment, but I enjoy shooting black powder a great deal and am looking at an affordably priced custom build that I won't be too afraid to take into the woods.

Thank you all for having me!  :D

Smokey Plainsman

Offline looper

Re: Southern mountain rifle?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 10:01:23 PM »
Don Bruton is the fellow I'd call. Www.booneguns.com

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 10:27:22 PM »
You have left no contact info.  Hard for others to respond directly.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 10:32:00 PM »
I had Steve Losey build me a Southern Mountain Rifle and he did a great job.  Mine is fancier than you are looking for but that was my taste.   His site is

http://www.loseyfirearms.com/southern-mountain-and-tennesse-type-guns.php

Mine is about half way down -- first one with a banana style patchbox.  He is great to work with and I love my .32  8)

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Howard

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 10:37:54 PM »
Why don't you buy a Jim K. kit ?

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 10:39:44 PM »
Why don't you buy a Jim K. kit ?

Ya beat me to it.

https://kiblerslongrifles.com/

Welcome to the ALR Smokey, if you can't find what you need here...its probably not out there.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 01:47:56 AM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 10:49:37 PM »
I am working on one right now.  It could be done on the kitchen table with minimal tools.  It basically just need some minor fitting to assemble it.  The parts are top notch quality. 

Offline ScottH

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 01:40:42 AM »
"I am working on one right now.  It could be done on the kitchen table with minimal tools.  It basically just need some minor fitting to assemble it.  The parts are top notch quality.  "

And Jim Kibler will do as much work on a kit as you want to pay for, including finishing the rifle if that is what you want.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 02:14:06 AM »
Look in the For Sale forum. There is a really nice one for sale right now.  It's a bargain too!!
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 02:16:56 AM »
I'll do you one for $1400. Unfortunately nearly a two year wait.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 03:06:07 AM »
I say get you a Kibler kit also.I too live in a tiny place and have no work shop per say.I have a portable vise and the basic hand tools to go along with it.I work on mine at the kitchen table,on the counter top near the sink,wherever. Good weather out on the deck outside.Been doing some stuff over drop cloth in the bedroom,good lighting.I finding the experience quite rewarding getting this thing together in such spartan conditions.You would be surprised what you come up with to hold things in place.Something to think about,there is something to be said for building these things yourself.

Offline EC121

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 03:11:08 AM »
I built my first Lyman kit in the living room of my apartment.  Their shaping back then(1977) left a lot of router marks.  Did some of the work on the porch.  The wife made me run the sweeper every night.
Brice Stultz

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 04:48:57 AM »
   I was living in a small apartment when I built my first rifle. Built the rifle in my parents garage. I drove out there out least three times a week. It was a huge pain, but I stuck with it and got it done. Definitely could have built it in the apartment if I was a single guy. I am also going to say get a kit. A rifle that you build is always going to be far nicer than any one that you could ever buy.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 06:29:50 AM »
My first rifle was built sitting on the apartment floor holding it with my feet about 45yrs ago. It still looks and shoots good.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 07:25:57 AM »
.....And I thought I was the only goofball to build a rifle by making due! 

I never put my stock in a vise.  A bit of a pain. A vise would certainly been nice. But I made due. 

Like was said, Kiblers kit is very manageable. 

Heck, order a Kibler kit and ship it to me....I will gladly put it together and finish it.  Seriously.. PM me if you want. 

Nothing wrong with buying one either...There's a beauty on the classifieds right now. 

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 04:20:14 PM »
I say get you a Kibler kit also.I too live in a tiny place and have no work shop per say.I have a portable vise and the basic hand tools to go along with it.I work on mine at the kitchen table,on the counter top near the sink,wherever. Good weather out on the deck outside.Been doing some stuff over drop cloth in the bedroom,good lighting.I finding the experience quite rewarding getting this thing together in such spartan conditions.You would be surprised what you come up with to hold things in place.Something to think about,there is something to be said for building these things yourself.

The "something to be said" is called the feeling of accomplishment in doing such a job and bringing it to a
successful conclusion.This can be even more enhanced when you take the rifle out to shoot it and find it really
works. Jim Kibler has done our sport/hobby a HUGE service with these kits and the ones I looked at last August at
the CLA show in Lexington were top notch.

Bob Roller

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 05:42:34 PM »
pm sent

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 01:11:45 AM »

The "something to be said" is called the feeling of accomplishment in doing such a job and bringing it to a
successful conclusion.This can be even more enhanced when you take the rifle out to shoot it and find it really
works. Jim Kibler has done our sport/hobby a HUGE service with these kits and the ones I looked at last August at
the CLA show in Lexington were top notch.

Bob Roller
Thanks Bob,while not building one of Jim's kit I know the feeling putting things together myself from drilling all the holes,tapping the threads ect.Very rewarding, wish I could have had one of your flint hawken locks to put on her though