Author Topic: Andrew McDermitt rifle stock question  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Tim Ault

Andrew McDermitt rifle stock question
« on: March 13, 2017, 04:33:45 PM »
Hello good folks I don't post a lot but do enjoy reading and learning here .  I have decided to build another rifle this spring and have been looking at some originals for ideas . One that has caught my eye is an Andrew McDermitt rifle    http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=16563.0

I like the plain and simple of this rifle as it's more to my abilities , I would have to start with a precarve stock as I just can't do a blank for a few reasons . My question is , Is there a precarve from Pectonica or MBS or track that I could alter to get me close to this rifle ? I could live with a little less drop  if needed .  I just don't have that eye for architecture that you all seem to be blessed with .

Thanks , Tim

Offline Mauser06

Re: Andrew McDermitt rifle stock question
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 05:58:50 PM »
Have you looked at Kiblers's southern mountain rifle kit???

It's not exactly the same exact rifle.  But, some similarities and comes pretty well shaped. Some minor fitting of furniture and it's about ready to finish.   

Maybe something to look at. 

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 08:14:07 PM »
Yes I've seen those , very nice but I was wanting to do all the work except general profiling  of the stock . He sorta takes all the enjoyment/ "work"  out of it having it all inlet  already for me anyways  . Also planning on making all the parts except barrel and lock myself .

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 10:43:26 PM »
Hello good folks I don't post a lot but do enjoy reading and learning here .  I have decided to build another rifle this spring and have been looking at some originals for ideas . One that has caught my eye is an Andrew McDermitt rifle    http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=16563.0

I like the plain and simple of this rifle as it's more to my abilities , I would have to start with a precarve stock as I just can't do a blank for a few reasons . My question is , Is there a precarve from Pectonica or MBS or track that I could alter to get me close to this rifle ? I could live with a little less drop  if needed .  I just don't have that eye for architecture that you all seem to be blessed with .

Thanks , Tim

Tim, Dave Keck may have something that will work for you.  The Fred Miller Tennessee #2 or Tennessee #1 patterns may be something where you could alter the pattern enough to fit your needs. http://knobmountainmuzzleloading.com/FredMillerStocks.html  Worth taking a look at.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 11:37:59 PM »
Go on pectatonica's website and take a look at their precarves.Dick is great to work with and I'm sure if you find one that's reasonably close he can leave wood where you need it to get you the rest of the way.