Author Topic: Gooseneck V gouge  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Mauser06

Gooseneck V gouge
« on: March 15, 2017, 12:32:28 AM »
So I bought a few old gouges.

One is a Addis gooseneck V gouge.  I guess it is also referred to a spoon gouge...Addis #44... It's in very nice shape.  I thought it might work great for carving like a normal v gouge is used.   

I really can't figure out a use for the thing...?  Or, figure out how to make it work. 

Is there any use for it?   I may not be trying to use it properly.  Or maybe it has a different purpose. 

I'm practicing carving, sharpening my tools and seeing what ones I will use and what ones to re-sell and buy others that I need.  That one is really giving me a fit...lol
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 12:41:52 AM by Mauser06 »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Gooseneck V gouge
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 12:43:46 AM »
Gouging in a concave surface like a bowl.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 12:48:32 AM »
I don't think there would be much use for a "V" spoon gouge in gun making.    There is a use for a dogleg chisel, but I have yet to find a use for a spoon gouge.   Maybe someone else uses one for something. 

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 01:07:25 AM »
Rich, that makes sense.  Didn't realize spoon gouges were mean to carve spoons/bowls and such. I thought it was just the name because of the shape.

Explains why the tool doesn't seem to work for me lol.   

I do have a 1/8" dog leg that I love. Can get into some useful places with it and make nice clean cuts.

Guess my spoon V gouge will go back on the market.

Thanx guys!  Figured you guys may know!

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 03:43:41 AM »
   Spoon gouges are great. You can use them for all sorts of things. But I don't thing gun building is one of them. I have a couple 1mm skew spoon gouges that I don't use very often. But a few times they were the perfect thing.

I really want to get a few of those back bend gouges. They are kind of neat and I just like chisels and gouges. Problem is that I cannot even think of any use for them at all.

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 05:17:21 PM »
Mauser,. I wouldn't get rid of it, You can't have enough tools as long as you have a place to store and access them. You may well run into a problem down the road that a spoon gouge will be perfect for. Might only be for one small series of cuts but it might be just the tool for the job. I have way more tools than I "need" but at some point, I have used them all.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 05:40:41 PM »
It's a v chisel so unless doing incised carving this particular curved chisel which he is calling a spoon gouge is a bit limited. I do agree a round spoon gouge can be handy. Somewhere.
Andover, Vermont