Author Topic: tools for cleaning up rough castings  (Read 4994 times)

Offline smylee grouch

tools for cleaning up rough castings
« on: April 03, 2017, 03:54:27 AM »
What is the preferred method or tool to use when starting to clean up the rough sand cast butt plates and trigger guards?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: tools for cleaning up rough castings
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 04:16:20 AM »
 I use coarse files.  Plus I might mumble a few words if they have a bunch of divots or pin holes.  I don't have a belt sander but I think they are commonly used for rough castings.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 05:50:58 AM »
   Files then sandpaper. I would skip the power tools unless you really know what you are doing. With the amount of material that needs to be removed from a sand casting, it is pretty easy it to change the shape or take off more than you need without realizing it. There is no need to hurry. Just take it slow.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 06:23:00 AM »
I find a steel scraper helps a lot if it is soft yellow brass.  After that it is files and sandpaper/purple scotchbrite. 

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 01:52:41 PM »
I make wooden blocks that fit around the profile of trigger guard on either (both) sides. I leave them longer than the casting, with flat spots so I can use a small clamp to hold them together. Then, I can position/ reposition the piece in a vise easily. I'll mortice out for the lugs to help hold the part as well.
I start with large bastard files progressing to small, finer files. I have one scraper called a "Pro-Prep" that really works well for finishing brass castings. It's especially effective for keeping facets crisp.
Butt plate is very tricky to hold. Again, I cut a wooden block to profile so I can hold it in the vise. If you have enough confidence to drill your mounting holes it really helps. I just drill them big enough for a drywall screw at this time. The scraper really shines up a butt plate.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline flehto

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 02:08:33 PM »
I use coarse sandpaper wheels in a Dremel followed by coarse files then scrapers. The final finishing is first done w/ soft Gesswein stones dunked in mineral spirits and various grades of wet/dry paper.....Fred

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 06:25:45 PM »
Here's my big clunkyness using half worn-out coarse files to clean up casting gates on a buttplate.  I'll use smaller and keener files until I clean it up with sandy papers.  Pretty sure I used the bench grinder just before I shot this, now that I think of it.

You'll see me swapping files and areas of the file and directions of the cut all to get the right bite in the metal with the least vibration and chatter.  This is ground zero of my youtube videos making.  Someday I'll add dialog and voice-overs.  And clean up the area a little.

I do enjoy file work.  Grinders not so much. 

Hold to the Wind

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 07:58:28 PM »
All of the above. That's why I don't use sand castings EVER. 
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 08:00:18 PM »
Ditto on skipping the power tools especially if your new to the game.I thought putting a stone wheel on the dremel would speed things along but found after polishing down with paper you could see waves in the metal.Best to work it with files and then paper atleast for me.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 09:01:10 PM »
Taylor is the tool  :D I use to clean up sand castings, so they go from rough, to finished in no time at all.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:02:03 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 11:10:48 PM »
be careful when calling someone a tool,it means something a little different on this side of the border,LOL,you owe your brother an apologie ;)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 03:55:55 AM »
Taylor is the tool  :D I use to clean up sand castings

Yeah, but those things are expensive if you're not DNA connected.    8)

Oh wait, he probably charges you double.  :o
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 08:09:18 AM »
Yeah - if you only knew how much, Wade!  I've got a couple, but will never be able to afford another.
Daryl

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 08:13:28 AM »
My mistake - I should have worded this differently. I should have said "I use the guy who uses my brother's tools to dress the brass castings - steel ones too".
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 08:53:53 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 01:14:08 PM »
The comments about new guys and power tools are dead on.   I have a side plate that I had to turn into a tap and die gauge because of it.   The only thing I'll use my belt sander for is to get off a sprue. 

The hard part was learning the patience with files and emery.  Um Juss Sayn

Don't shoot yore eye out, kid

The Capgun Kid

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 04:12:07 PM »
For me it all depends on how rough. I've had some pretty gritty castings that have a lot of junk, seams,and sprues.
I start out on the worst of them with a 1"x 42" belt sander 80 grit then 240 grit, then i mount it in my fileing jig and work thru different grades of files until I can scrape with a sharp edged file (ground smooth).
Sometimes I finish with a buffing wheel but usually with a fine grit paper.
The way I was taught was to keep making your scratches smaller 'till they all run together.
Kevin   
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 07:02:00 PM »
Taylor is the tool  :D I use to clean up sand castings, so they go from rough, to finished in no time at all.

There is enough metal in most sand castings to make two items.  I have no patience for dull tools.  I use only designated files on brass and they cut very fast and accurately.  The illustration that Daryl used above is a guard I made for a future Wm Antes swivel rifle.  It's kind of a before and after...the casting below the finished guard is what I started with.  Often, you have to see the guard you want in the guard you buy, so the extra brass is a Godsend.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.