Author Topic: aqua fortis stain  (Read 2423 times)

Offline yip

aqua fortis stain
« on: April 03, 2017, 10:21:28 PM »
   a buddy of mine is ready to stain a american walnut stock, question how will aqua fortis stain work on walnut? will the color be to dark, or it make the grain pop? and how long do we leave the stain on before flashing it off?...............yip

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
Re: aqua fortis stain
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 11:04:06 PM »
My understanding is that wood containing tannins will color darker, almost black. For walnut, I'd avoid aqua fortis, and use an alcohol based stain to tint the wood. I like plain varnish alone.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 12:25:17 AM »
Around here folks call iron- saturated aquafortis, "aquafortis". Iron-saturated aquafortis will turn walnut black. Nitric acid which does not have iron in it but is correctly called aquafortis can be used on walnut with success.
Andover, Vermont

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 01:37:54 AM »
I use my homemade Nitrate of Iron Stain(Nitric acid and water with iron dissolved into it)regularly on Walnut.I've provided link to two rifles done in this manner.I find that I get nice golden undertones and greater contrast in any figure in the wood. I do two coats blushing between coats.I let it dry completely before blushing.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=14775.msg138797#msg138797

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=22820.msg218440;topicseen#msg218440

Mitch