Author Topic: Rusty RB Mold?  (Read 5356 times)

Offline Dave R

Rusty RB Mold?
« on: April 14, 2009, 06:25:57 AM »
I recently purchased a Lyman .495 RB mold from a old friend, It was stored in a damp place and is very rusty but it appears not to be pitted, I am considering cleaning it with WD40 and 4/0 steel wool, Is this the best method or does someone have a better idea?
Dave R

smokehouseman

Re: Rusty RB Mold?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 11:19:50 AM »
Just cleaned one up in similar condition using KroilOil and an toothbrush, then finished it off by cleaning good with carburetor cleaning fluid..........works for me!

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 02:05:09 AM »
Bronze wool, as used in the kitchen, can remove rust without scratching the iron.
Sometimes, it even removes rust without messing up what might be left of the original finish.
With your Favorite Oil, of course.

brokenflint

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 03:08:48 AM »
OK where can I find Bronze wool and Kroiloil?

Broke

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 03:12:36 AM »
You can get the bronze wool from Brownells,they are online.

Mitch

brokenflint

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 03:19:49 AM »
Thanks Mitch

Offline Z. Buck

• Fabricati Diem Pvnc
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 03:50:10 AM »
you can get kroil from midway or perhaps even your local gunshop
I Make Inflammatory Statements

Be Prepared

Offline Dave R

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 06:11:44 AM »
Thanks guys! Bronze wool sounds good to me! I have some smelly Kroil, My wife has a toothbrush! What is the chance she will smell kroil on her toothbrush?

Thanks a ZILLION TIMES!

Dave R
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 06:23:36 AM by Dave R »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 04:10:32 PM »
I recently purchased a Lyman .495 RB mold from a old friend, It was stored in a damp place and is very rusty but it appears not to be pitted, I am considering cleaning it with WD40 and 4/0 steel wool, Is this the best method or does someone have a better idea?
Dave R

Large copper bore brush will work most times. DON'T use the end of the brush just the side, so a big one with long bristles. Maybe even chucked in a drill.
I would check all he vent lines that end at the cavity to assure the are open. 3 square needle file ground flat on one side will usually clean these.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 11:09:48 PM »
all good advice, but I'd use a shotgun bore brush spun in an electric drill, myself - along with Kroil, WD40 or whatever was handy.  Since Kroil isn't available in Canada so far to my best recollection, I'll save what I've got to mix with my Butches Bore Shine for my modern gun barrels, and use WD40 on the mould. I've cleaned them with 4-ought, but be careful to leave the edges of the ball 1/2's sharp, not rounded.

Leprechaun