Author Topic: Anybody Shoot One Of These  (Read 5172 times)

Offline Feltwad

Anybody Shoot One Of These
« on: April 21, 2009, 09:27:52 PM »
Enclosed is an image of a 50 calibre Wheellock rifle that I build with a German paddle type stock  in the 1970,s .Are there any Wheellock shooters ?.
Feltwad
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 09:30:13 PM by Feltwad »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: Anybody Shoot One Of These
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 09:42:33 PM »
Never have.  That's some gun, alright.  Don't see why it couldn't be a practical arm as they were quite the rage at one time for those who could afford them.  Nice looking piece.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
Never have tried -  Boy would that ever put a dent in my skinny shoulder! :o

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 12:52:54 AM »
I shot one at Friendship in the spring 07 shoot.   It belonged to Leon Buckwalter who was on this list.   Leon drove over night to get to Friendship  in time to have his wheellock video taped with that high speed camera.    When we finished we went to the off hand line and I fired it a couple of times.  Pretty cool gun.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 03:36:06 AM »
That's a beautiful rifle, Feldwad. Looks to be very well done.

Feltwad, have you seen the pictures of the ebony stocked and silver wire inlaid Wheelock Pistol Taylor made?  Shooting it is litterally as fast as any cap-gun. I know there are folks who've been shooting flinters a long time and they think theirs is/are as fast as a cap, but that isn't quite true. The wheelock Taylor made is.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 06:37:36 PM »
Daryl I cannot say that I have seen this wheellock pistol. At the same time I build the rifle I also build from  a wheellock pistol ,enclosed are a couple of images of this pistol
Feltwad

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 06:41:09 PM by Feltwad »

Offline ehoff

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 06:53:05 PM »
Closest thing to wheel lock I've ever fired is a Zippo lighter!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 08:05:02 PM »
Feltwad...here's some pictures of the only wheellock I've built.  It was built on commission for my dear late friend Peter Nicholson, shown shooting it.
As far as ignition goes, Daryl's evaluation is spot on...it's as fast as a percussion pistol but with a lighter trigger pull, and without any jar from a hammer fall.  This one has a piece of .40 cal rifled barrel by Les Bauska with a 1:48" twist.  It is very accurate.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 09:44:51 PM »
Yes that looks a good well made pistol,i am surprised that is as fast as a percussion lock. Both my rifle and the pistol I would say are not that fast ,what type of ignition did you fix in the jaws of the dog,I use pyrite which is traditional but have seen some use a man made stone similar to that used in a lighter which quickens up the ignition.
Feltwad

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 02:01:27 AM »
I know the answer to that one.  Taylor built 2 wheels for Peter's pistol - the cross-notched wheel for shooting pyrites and the other with a smooth but ridged surface for using flints. The ridges (both wheels) run radially, around the circumference of the wheel. the Pyrites wheel has cross grooves that makes for a roughed surface.  Ignition with either it seems instantaneous. You 'touch' the single set and as soon as the trigger starts to leave your finger, it's gone - like Taylor said, you don't feel a hammer strike or jar.  This pistol should be outlawed for pistol events - more accurate offhand than most pistols shot from bags.

Here are two photos of the lock Taylor built for this pistol, including the chain he also had to make.  Shown are the two wheels.  Lots of parts.  He is quite talented at this sort of fiddly - nerve wracking stuff.