Author Topic: I love walnut!!  (Read 3491 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

I love walnut!!
« on: January 25, 2018, 08:25:15 AM »
After building a bunch of guns with maple stocks I decided to build a walnut fowler. Wow what a difference!!

It is so pleasing to work with. Chisels easily, sands easily, finishes beautifully with just oil. I am a big fan of walnut guns now.  I know most English and German guns were walnut, but what American made guns used walnut? Seems like maple is the norm for most American guns.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: I love walnut!!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 01:35:24 PM »
Mostly Appalachia rifles, but you'll find them occasionally just about everywhere.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline webradbury

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 03:44:31 PM »
I love the smell of walnut shavings in the morning!
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 05:45:59 PM »
Remember though that English and German guns were stocked in English Walnut or Juglans Regia, while American Black Walnut or Juglans Nigra  is a completely different wood, both in appearance and workability. I love working with European or English walnut, it carves beautifully, finishes easily and is nice and hard. Personally, I am not that big a fan of black walnut, while it cuts and sands easily, it can be brittle and liable to split and must be filled and sealed before finishing or it looks atrocious. As Mike said though, it is appropriate wood for Appalachian style guns. If you look through Shumway's RCA, you will occasionally see a rifle stocked in walnut, might check those out as an idea for a build.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

ltdann

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 05:50:39 PM »
You must have gotten a good piece of wood.  I've always found walnut to be a splintery mess.  Glad you had a good experience.

Dan

Offline Sawfiler

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 06:01:51 PM »
Something to consider when talking about the quality of walnut.

https://www.mcilvain.com/walnut-grades-explained/

Due to demand and other factors, good clear walnut with little defects is harder to find and is graded as such. The grades accept lower qualities into high grades than other lumber. Best to inspect your blanks before you buy them. As you all have seen on these threads before, there is a wide variation in strength/brittleness, and porosity from one tree to the next. One of the best indicators will be where the tree grew. Tress grown in the woods will grow much slower and be more dense and less porous than tress that came from someones back yard where they could grow faster.
Wish I enjoyed what makes my living
Did what I do with a willin' hand
Some would run, ah, but that ain't like me
So I just dream and keep on bein' the way I am

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 07:39:57 PM »
I think this stock must've been American walnut. There were a few checks in the buttplate area that I had to fill, but overall pretty good. It was a little splintery around the buttplate finial, but I got it in no problem.  I think I'd like to try some European walnut for a gun soon.  Can you tell American from European walnut just by looking at the grain?

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 08:04:25 PM »
Yes, they are easy to tell apart once you see them side by side. English walnut has a tighter grain, and does not have  open pores like black walnut. It still needs some filler to look its best but much easier to work and finish. It also tends to be a lighter shade of brown as well, although, as with all wood, that can vary. The easiest way to tell them apart is by the price! English walnut is considerably more expensive, especially in larger pieces. I have gotten some wonderful blanks from Wayne Dunlap over the years, give him or Daniel a call and see what they have. You will love working it.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 08:21:07 PM »
sure sounds like mine is American walnut. Pretty open pores and grain.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 08:53:11 PM »
Black walnut can vary tremendously in quality.  We carefully select all we buy.  This was a lesson we learned early on.  Nice dark dense wood is a pleasure to work.

Jim

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 12:02:18 AM »
I would assume that if I were to buy from one of the reputable dealers (Pecatonica, Dunlap, Track etc..) that they would sell wood of a quality that is appropriate for building a gun? I don't get a lot of opportunity to handle blanks in person.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 12:11:41 AM »
I would assume that if I were to buy from one of the reputable dealers (Pecatonica, Dunlap, Track etc..) that they would sell wood of a quality that is appropriate for building a gun? I don't get a lot of opportunity to handle blanks in person.
The quality of walnut, both Black and English varies widely. I have worked with excellent and horrible in both. Check with Ron Scott, I have gotten some good stuff from him at a good price, !@*%&@ near white in color, had to stain it but it was full of curl, fairly hard and worked really well.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 12:29:22 AM »
Here's one of Ron scott's "military grade" I mentioned above.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 12:31:29 AM »
I honestly think I am allergic to Walnut.  I sneeze the whole time I am working with it.  I like the end product tho.

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline hudson

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 05:40:39 AM »
Walnut my preferred wood now and about all I work with. There was one peace around fifteen years ago, the wood from $#*!! Nice strait grain quarter sawed, thought I would never get it filled, now that stock still looks fine with close to 6,000 rounds down range.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 07:03:18 AM »
Here's one of Ron scott's "military grade" I mentioned above.

Looks nice Mike. I would almost think it was maple.