Author Topic: What finish to put over Boiled Linseed Oil?  (Read 5999 times)

Longwalker

What finish to put over Boiled Linseed Oil?
« on: September 20, 2017, 06:15:04 PM »
Hello Folks,
I recently bought a nicely built "Bucks" County styled rifle, quite plain but with a decent curly maple stock stained red-brown. I actually have a few questions for you all.
One: the stock is "finished" with boiled linseed oil, I would like to put another more weather resistant finish over that if I can. I plan to hunt a lot with this rifle. Can you suggest a finish  that will be compatible?

Two: Would Chamber's Oil finish work?

Three: Also, the stock, while pleasing in color is a bit too dark for me overall, I would like to lighten it up especially in "wear" areas before I put any new finish on it. Can I just rub through the linseed oil finish (using fine steel wool or rotten-stone)until I start to slightly lighten up the stain, then use the new finish?

Any advice I receive will be greatly appreciated!
Harry

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: What finish to put over Boiled Linseed Oil?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 07:30:17 PM »
BLO by its self is really not a finish. This is why so many new builders run into trouble. Usually at the very least bees wax is added to the mixture to give it some degree of water resistance, and a nice low luster. This can complicate adding some sort of top coat over the existing finish. Since you want the stock color lightened anyway. I would see if you can rub the color back with a little extra fine Scotchbrite. If that works, Chambers oil would make a good top coat. If you like a satin finish, you will likely have to lightly rub the final coat of Chambers oil back a bit.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 07:34:16 PM »
Wax helps, but is usually quite shiny.  Birchwood Casey sells one called Stock Sheen.  Paste wax can also be applied and polished.  I expect automotive waxes would also work.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Longwalker

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 11:07:41 PM »
Thanks HH and Daryl for the replys.

HH I will try the ultra fine scotchbrite, that the purple color, right?  The Chambers Oil is what I would like to use too, it constantly gets good reviews by all you experienced "gunstockers" here on the forum.
Thanks!
Harry

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 12:00:14 AM »
Hello Folks,
I recently bought a nicely built "Bucks" County styled rifle, quite plain but with a decent curly maple stock stained red-brown. I actually have a few questions for you all.
One: the stock is "finished" with boiled linseed oil, I would like to put another more weather resistant finish over that if I can. I plan to hunt a lot with this rifle. Can you suggest a finish  that will be compatible?

Two: Would Chamber's Oil finish work?

Three: Also, the stock, while pleasing in color is a bit too dark for me overall, I would like to lighten it up especially in "wear" areas before I put any new finish on it. Can I just rub through the linseed oil finish (using fine steel wool or rotten-stone)until I start to slightly lighten up the stain, then use the new finish?

Any advice I receive will be greatly appreciated!
Harry

Chambers is probably the best bet right out of the bottle. Next easiest would be boiled LS oil and Tru-oil 50-50 or maybe a little more oil than Tru-oil. If the boiled oil used had some resin added it might be OK as is. Compared to a proper LS oil varnish made for stock finish almost everything else is temporary. Gunsmiths were very unlikely to use straight boiled oil IMO it always had, or should have had, some resin added. Gum Arabic, Rosin etc something cheap, soft and easy to combine with a little heat. This makes the oil far more water resistant and it will not get white when exposed to moisture. I don't generally wax stocks.... 
Beeswax is not especially water proof. Put some in water for a few hours and see. Turns white like straight boiled oil does.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Old and grumpy

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 02:20:35 AM »
Does Tru-Oil need a top coat?  I am just finishing up my first re build. I like the look and feel of 4 coats of Tru-Oil Rubbed out with ultra fine steel wool and then  soft flannel.  I have not been posting about it here because I don't think Civil War muskets qualify as as "American long rifles" so I held off. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 02:45:38 AM »

My late buddy Brad, holding 'her'.

photo and image hosting

I "finished" this rifle in 1986.  Taylor built & browned it, I applied the finish only. This picture was taken about 2010.
I used True Oil. This rifle has hunted in the rain, sun, snow and temps down to -56F. It looks the same today, 2017, as it did then.

There is no added finish over the True Oil - just it and that's all folks.

As you can see, it has stood the test of time, so far, but that's only 31 years.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 02:56:10 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 02:57:42 AM »

post images

Now that I look at it more closely, it does need refinishing - or not.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 03:00:13 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Old and grumpy

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 03:06:59 AM »
Thanks. That.s what I was hoping .  Looks nice. 

-------
Almost done--After and before.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 04:56:21 AM by Old and grumpy »

Offline mtlonghunter

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 03:07:50 AM »
One must be careful mixing different finishes, how they might react to each other. Boiled linseed oil is a fairly soft finish and will move easily under a harder finish like varnish or a poly blend of some sort. An option to consider is to melt the linseed oil with denatured alcohol and lacquer thinner 50/50 and gently wipe with a old towel getting as much off as possible. You can then let it dry and do whatever you want with the color and your new finish.

Offline Clear Spring Armory

• Clear Spring Armory FaceBook Page
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 05:00:32 AM »
I put Chambers oil over a BLO finish a little over 6 months ago and so far, so good.

Longwalker

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 05:52:29 PM »
Thanks to all of you for the help, very good tips and info to consider! I'll post some pics when I get a chance to show the before and after!
Harry

Turtle

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 11:33:30 PM »
 On my cherry stock new England fowler/militia musket, I used linseed to bring out color and grain, and rubbed 8 coats of chambers finish on. After it was dry, I matted  it down with mink oil on fine steel wool. cam out real nice.  That was 3 years ago-no issues.

54ball

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 02:39:32 AM »
 Someone mentioned automotive waxes. Don't do it! Most automotive waxes contain additives to remove oxidation. It will remove browning and bluing....especially on a barrel with natural brown or grey. Ask me how I know. ::)

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 01:33:18 PM »
If you're gonna work to lighten the finish using scuff pads, buy a lot of 'em.  They'll clog with the BLO.  On the other hand, stripping the stock is a big process.

After looking at Daryl's post, and listening to two or three gunmakers I have been privileged to speak with, Tru-Oil seems to be the best choice

Longwalker

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 05:04:19 PM »
Thanks for the input CAP!
Harry