Author Topic: Hawken lock mortices  (Read 3682 times)

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Hawken lock mortices
« on: October 09, 2017, 09:35:14 PM »
Here goes. I am in process of building 'nother Hawken type  Plains rifle.Have all goodies, TOW plans,etc. I am aware that the lock panels have some odditie in that the front panel is wider?  side to side - than the rear,or is it opposite? Were all surviving Hawkens the same in this aspect,or are there variations? I just love these old cannons, and these type situations are part of the reason I do.
Best to you all,'specially Bob Roller.  have a goodun, Dave F 8) 8)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Hawken lock mortices
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 09:51:14 PM »
Talk to Don Stith and Taylor Sapergia about Hawkens.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 11:33:09 PM »
I am in process of building 'nother Hawken type Plains rifle. I am aware that the lock panels have some odditie in that the front panel is wider?  side to side - than the rear,or is it opposite? Were all surviving Hawkens the same in this aspect, or are there variations?

Looking at the pictures in James Gordon's book, Great Gunmakers for the Early West, Vol III, there are definitely variations. The late S Hawken marked rifles often have the taper in the lock panels. Rifles of the J&S Hawken period either don't exhibit a taper in the lock panels or it is less pronounced.

Like a lot of things Hawken, there are no set rules.
Phil Meek

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 12:13:00 AM »
Lots of variation in those critters, but you won't be wrong if you make the lock panel wider in the front.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 12:58:09 AM »
Might depend on what 'era' Hawken as well.
Perhaps these pictures are not what is needed.

private image hosting

Not a Hawken, but I would estimate the lock panels are almost 1/8" wider at the front than the rear. This is likely normal for 1/2 stocks.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 01:02:20 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 02:03:51 AM »
Thanks to all y'all !!!  Thing I like about asking Hawken related questions, is there is always some good answers and pics. Seems this is a passionate subject,and rightly so. 
The one I am building is a 50 Ed Rayle barrel, and a Davis Golcher lock. Nearly as long as L&R  Hawken lock.

Best regards, Dave 8) 8)

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 03:32:14 PM »
Since I crawled out of my hole to respond to your question, I might as well add some unsolicited advice.  Do your self a favor and use a tapered barrel.
  I know there are some straight barrels reported to exist.  However I have seen far more  original Hawken rifles with tapered barrels than straight.  Heck I have even seen more with swamped barrels than straight.  Besides they make a much better handling rifle.
  At a Dixons seminar one year I claimed that you could make almost any claim about "what must be on a Hawken" and I could find at least one exception.  I still believe that, but why build the oddball?
 Enough rabble rousing for now
  Got to get rested up or the next round of chemo.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 03:48:52 PM »
Are there any barrel makers who keep tapered barrels in stock?
Andover, Vermont

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 05:46:10 PM »
I am aware that the lock panels have some odditie in that the front panel is wider?

It is not an oddity at all.  It was done to create a slimmer-looking rifle.  Inletting the lock parallel to the barrel makes the breech end look like the rear end of a Belgin draft mare.  Setting the tail of the lock in reduces the distance of the wrist to the lock panel and is much more pleasing to the eye.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 06:48:35 PM »
See if Don Stith can sell you some plans.  His plans show a top view.  It is a good idea to have multiple source plans sheets.