Author Topic: Wire inlay before or after stain  (Read 2831 times)

Rambler

Wire inlay before or after stain
« on: October 09, 2017, 11:56:00 PM »
What is your learned opinion on this . I've done it both ways and had success and failure both ways . Thanks for your help .

Offline PPatch

Re: Wire inlay before or after stain
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 12:00:46 AM »
Before, for sure. Do all your inlays and wire work before you apply finish. You will be able to clean the wire or inlay after you're done with the finishing.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline rsells

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 02:20:28 AM »
I do my wire inlay before staining.  I always work the wood and wire down to the same plane, then do the normal whiskering, staining, and finishing of the stock.
                                                                                                 Roger Sells

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 03:31:20 AM »
Hi Rambler,
I am not sure why anyone would choose to inlay wire after staining.  When you file off the excess wire you will probably have to restain where your file or stone scraped the wood. It really makes no sense.

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 04:11:07 AM »
Agree with all above, absolutely before staining.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 02:59:53 AM »
I don't see any advantage to straining before inlaying the wire.  It would also be harder to see your pencil line  on the stained surface.  I also leave the wire  considerably  higher than the surface of the wood until just before the last coat of finish.  I then file it down to just a few thousands of an inch above the surface of the wood and then apply the last coat of finish.  If you don't leave it a tad high you will not be able to clean it when it tarnishes.

David Price

Offline Jeff Stewart

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 12:32:24 PM »
Can't imagine doing wire inlay after staining, but maybe that's because I always have a lot of clean up to do.  A more talented, neater  craftsman may have more luck doing after the stain.
Jeff