Author Topic: Finished my second  (Read 3411 times)

ltdann

Finished my second
« on: October 31, 2017, 03:38:31 AM »
This is my second rifle, inspired by a jaeger rifle in Shumway's jaeger book, a rifle by Heinrich Jannsen, circa 1720 Munich.  Started life as a TOTW parts set and after that it got interesting.

Offline Marcruger

Re: Finished my second
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 04:06:04 AM »
Gracious.  What a second effort!  Well done sir.  God Bless,  Marc

ltdann

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 04:56:08 AM »
Thanks Marc, I made a ton of mistakes and learned a lot.  I really enjoy the problem solving aspect.  Still need to make a front sling swivel since the forearm is pretty beefy.  I wanted to take off more but I felt it wouldn't be proportionate  with the butt stock.  Couldn't take more off the butt because of the acanthus butt plate, etc..

The lighting for the photo's make's it look shiner that it actually is.  Once I started on the silver inlay, I got in the zone and 12 feet later...... It is what it is ;)

Thanks for looking

Dan

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 05:30:47 AM »
Dan,
Looks great! I really like it. You did a great job on your wire inlay work. What did you use for tools to stab in your pattern? The entire rifle looks good but the wire makes it pop! Well done.
elkhorne

ltdann

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 05:43:19 AM »
Pretty simple tools, stabbing in chisels made from exacto blades ground down to a half moon shape and sharpened.  A nice set of precision flush cut wire cutters, and a small hammer.

blogger image hosting

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 02:04:59 PM »
That's a spectacular second effort.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 02:30:58 PM »
Just showing off or interested in a critique?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

n stephenson

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 04:16:53 PM »
Ltdann , that is an impressive rifle , especially for a second attempt. The wirework really stands out. Any idea what your third go is gonna be ? you know they say the third times a charm !!  You did a good job on this one. Nate

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 04:41:32 PM »
Impressiv wire work!!

Best regards
Rolf

ltdann

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 05:49:34 PM »
Thank you folks. 

Yes Mr. Brooks, I'm interested in critiques.  I made a ton of mistakes and recovered the best I can.  I'm still learning to carve so my feathering needs work.  I had a really tough time with the butt plate, I probably won't do that style again...

No idea what a third will be...thinking about it.  I REALLY like doing the silver wire inlay.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:51:37 PM by ltdann »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 12:41:36 AM »
Thank you folks. 

Yes Mr. Brooks, I'm interested in critiques.  I made a ton of mistakes and recovered the best I can.  I'm still learning to carve so my feathering needs work.  I had a really tough time with the butt plate, I probably won't do that style again...

No idea what a third will be...thinking about it.  I REALLY like doing the silver wire inlay.
I'll start off by saying that is a GREAT second gun, better than my 2nd by far. But why not learn a little along the way.
 I wouldn't have cared to tackle that BP either, but you did well with it. You probably could have used a black wood filler of some kind in the pores of the wood, it would have really made the stock warmer, also knock that shine down with some pumice and oil, that will help too. Your thumb piece desperately needs inlet, as does your trigger guard and side plate.
 Your wire work is technically pretty good, I probably didn't venture into wire until I had a dozen guns under my belt. But, (there's always  a but...) much of the wire starts from no where, artistically it needs tied into something. The polish on your brass gives me a headache. ;) Take that buffing wheel and throw it in the trash can. This stuff needs to be polished by hand, it ain't fun, but that's the way it is.
 Keep in  mind if you build another jaeger, these aren't big guns. There is no more wood on them than what is required. There is not a jaeger kit or precarve on the market that is in any way correct.
 Overall, a great second gun...what's the 3rd going to be? ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

ltdann

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 02:37:15 AM »

I'll start off by saying that is a GREAT second gun, better than my 2nd by far. But why not learn a little along the way.
 I wouldn't have cared to tackle that BP either, but you did well with it. You probably could have used a black wood filler of some kind in the pores of the wood, it would have really made the stock warmer, also knock that shine down with some pumice and oil, that will help too. Your thumb piece desperately needs inlet, as does your trigger guard and side plate.
 Your wire work is technically pretty good, I probably didn't venture into wire until I had a dozen guns under my belt. But, (there's always  a but...) much of the wire starts from no where, artistically it needs tied into something. The polish on your brass gives me a headache. ;) Take that buffing wheel and throw it in the trash can. This stuff needs to be polished by hand, it ain't fun, but that's the way it is.
 Keep in  mind if you build another jaeger, these aren't big guns. There is no more wood on them than what is required. There is not a jaeger kit or precarve on the market that is in any way correct.
 Overall, a great second gun...what's the 3rd going to be? ;D

Thank you for the kind words.  I can honestly say that I wouldn't have attempted even a first build it hadn't been for all the folks here that share so generously.  The photo-bucket debacle robbed all of us of a great historical repository for a true art form.  Some things you just have to see to understand.

Concur with your comments, each of the points you bring up I had considered.  The black wood filler-I'd thought that chambers was about the only source and was discontinued.  I tried wet sanding (600 grit ) with sealer in an attempt to fill the pores and it just didn't work as well as I liked.  Maybe sanding sealer?  Anybody?

Agree with the shine, thought I had pumice in the shop but couldn't find it.  I did rub back with red scuff pad on one coat, it looked horrible.  Put another coat of LMF finish and figured a bit of handling would tone it down. 

Agree with the thumb piece.  Side plate..hmm, also considered that and felt I'd probably make a hash of it.  I freely admit my inletting needs practice.  A guy needs to know his limitations  The trigger guard was a compromise because of the location of the trigger plate.  I would have had to cut some of the guard away to inlet it.  As it was, I used screws front and back rather than pins.  The sprues? were off center and angled so I cut them off.  It didn't occurred to me that I could re-solder them, having not done it before.  It wasn't till I read that here, somewhere, that it was solution to my problem  Not sure the guard was brass, it was awful hard and didn't bend easily.

Can you expand on the silver wire comment IRT tied to something.  I actually struggled with that.  It took me 3 x longer to layout the design then it actually took me to inlay it.  I'll probably start using smaller wire in off shoot branches...I'm getting comfortable with the wire.

LOL on the brass, I agree.  I started with a brushed finish, like on the nose cap and butt-plate and it just completely changed the whole motif/appearance/effect.  I actually buffed it, then brushed it, a few times and decided the shine would fade.  The rifle is really only 2 days old, I finished it Sunday night.

Agree on the wood.  I kept wanting to take off more, the whole thing felt....beefy.  I was somewhat constrained by the buttplate finial.  The original was .65 cal, and I had only had about 6 photos in Shumway's book to judge by.  All the rest of the examples in the book were all over the place.

Sourcing all the parts can be a chore.  The side plate I really wanted was discontinued due to foundry issues. yada yada on and on.

3rd project? mmm.  Briefly toyed with the Brown Bess, but the idea shooting a .775 ball makes my spine cringe,

I like the technical challenge and uniqueness of a Ferguson, but not sure my skills are at that level yet.

Frankly, I'm open to recommendations.  What say you all?  What should Dan throw his money at :o ?

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 05:02:30 AM »
Dan..., various woodworking supply places (like Woodcraft) sell wood filler.  You can get it in white, and add concentrate dye to color it whatever color you want.  Brownell's also sells wood filler.

On the right side of the rifle, you have wire that "ties" into the wrist carving.  I think it would look better if the carving terminated with an "up" curve instead of a downward curve, but that's one example of how wire design is tied into something.  The wire design on the right side of the butt is kind of just there.  Maybe start off with a volute in the upper corner and have designs flow out from that start point.  Take a look at some of Mark Silver's work, I think it'll give you an idea as to what can be done.  Wire design is probably the hardest thing to work out, and something I certainly struggle with often.  You have the skill to execute wire inlay well.  Spend some time looking at European work and study the design on these pieces.  Various auction houses on the net that cater to antique firearms are an excellentt source for this material.  Then practice by drawing 'till you feel good with it.  You also mentioned about using multiple strands of wire to execute off shoots.  That's a very good idea / technique, and very appropriate for European pieces.

Like others have stated, you did a commendable job, especially on a second project.  You have the skills necessary to do excellent work, which this is, and that's the hardest part.  Next comes the artistic aspect, which will come with practice, knowledge, and practice.  Good job!

Ed
Ed Wenger

ltdann

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 04:51:10 PM »
Thank you Mr. Wenger, I appreciate your kind words.  Thanks for tip on the wood filler and the spot on advice IRT the wire work.  I've never been accused of being an artist, but I try!  Mark Silver's work is awesome and worthy of study.   Thank you again.

Dan