Author Topic: Breech Plug Removal for Rebuild  (Read 2252 times)

Fiftyfour

Breech Plug Removal for Rebuild
« on: October 28, 2017, 02:43:08 PM »
I finished a trade style gun which I used an octogon to round rifled barrel instead of a smooth bore. I like the looks of the trade gun and already have a Fowler.
Unfortunately I tried to use a leftover piece of cherry and sacrificed some of  the drop and cast to  make it work.
This was a hard learned lesson but not the end on the world. I planed the comb down to get more drop and
Plane the side of the stock to get some cast.

I really want to make new stock that fits better.  The breech was taken off and put back on when the stock was
Inlet then after the vent was drill to remove any burrs from the drilling. Each time I put permatex antisieze on the treads.
Is there  a likelyhood of galling or damaging the threads by removing it again to inlet it into a new stock? The barrel is Colerain.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Breech Plug Removal for Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 03:50:04 PM »
I finished a trade style gun which I used an octogon to round rifled barrel instead of a smooth bore. I like the looks of the trade gun and already have a Fowler.
Unfortunately I tried to use a leftover piece of cherry and sacrificed some of  the drop and cast to  make it work.
This was a hard learned lesson but not the end on the world. I planed the comb down to get more drop and
Plane the side of the stock to get some cast.

I really want to make new stock that fits better.  The breech was taken off and put back on when the stock was
Inlet then after the vent was drill to remove any burrs from the drilling. Each time I put permatex antisieze on the treads.
Is there  a likelyhood of galling or damaging the threads by removing it again to inlet it into a new stock? The barrel is Colerain.
You can remove and install a breech plug endlessly with out damage.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 03:47:40 PM »
Mike is absolutely correct but I would recommend you get something like the barrel jaws and breech plug wrench from Rice barrels. Some people modify pipe wrenches to fit, that works great also.  The damage is never to the threads but to the outside of the barrel or plug by using the wrong tools. The antiseize is a good idea. Just use a small amount though, you don't want it oozing out, can be a devil of a time getting it off to refinish.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

54ball

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 04:21:35 PM »
 Never say never. ;)

When working with close tolerances, tight fits, big wrenches and filing threads it can be very easy to cross thread. If you cross thread you can gall both the plug and the barrel ruining the threads on both.

To avoid a crossthread always start the plug by hand. Make sure the threads of the plug and barrel are clean. Dress any burs on the lead thread with a file. Start the plug like a watchmaker does, slowly go counter clockwise (backwards) so you can feel the threads align then reverse and see if the thread starts. You may have to work back and forth a few times to start the plug. Do not force start it with a big heavy wrench.