Author Topic: Silver pins for inlays  (Read 2377 times)

n stephenson

Silver pins for inlays
« on: October 27, 2017, 09:33:45 PM »
I am building a rifle with quite a few silver inlays. My question is two fold . What size rod do most prefer , for pins? Where is a good place to get it?   My inlays are coin silver.

ltdann

Re: Silver pins for inlays
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 10:50:05 PM »
I get my silver from Rio Grande Jewelry.  You can get it 6-32 gauge, dead soft .999 silver.  Last project, I bought a foot of each of three different sizes but ended up using wire .064 (14 gauge) the most.

Dan

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 11:08:37 PM »
I make my silver nails for inlays out of 18g .040" diameter sterling wire.  I made a nail header by sharpening a small twist drill with an approximately 80 degree angle.  I used this drill to counter sink the nail header and also to make a matching countersink on my inlay.
David

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 02:14:28 AM »
I believe old silver inlays - at least on early 19th century rifles - were held by iron pins. Not silver.
Iron pins work better, too

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 04:07:34 PM »
I use odd bits left over from old silver coins I have cut inlays out of. I hammer these bits square with a taper. They are good and stiff after they are hammered. I was just looking at an old gun with a lot of silver inlay the other day. those pins appeared to be rectangular in shape, as if they may have been cut out of rolled sheet.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 01:11:55 AM »
Applause to the man who can still use a hammer.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 03:09:25 PM »
 This would have been helpful if PB had let things be. May still be able to get the gist.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=15.0

Tim C.