Author Topic: Ramrod channel  (Read 6237 times)

n stephenson

Re: Ramrod channel
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2017, 05:44:18 PM »
When I build a pistol , or a short gun that I`m gonna inlet the barrel by hand, then I do like Taylor and, gouge out the RR grove and drill the hole. I have 4or5 homemade bits of different diameters and lengths , depending on what I need. Most of the time on swamped or oct / rnd  barrels I just have them inletted with the RR groove and hole installed. I did quite a few by hand and, there is nothing wrong with it. Now I just prefer to use the time to do something a little more "fun" . I`d rather carve or engrave, rather than chiseling out a 46 inch long barrel channel and RR hole. I also factor in the fact that, my time is worth money. I can pay for good tight inletting job , cheaper than I can do it , when I look at the price versus the time. I know I`m terrible but, contrary to popular belief , I`m actually trying to make SOME money. JMHO  Nate

dmb25

Re: Ramrod channel
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2017, 09:41:55 PM »
I agree with you 100% and when I was in college and had free time during the summer power tools did not touch my guns but now that I'm working full time with overtime and obtained a mill it made sense but there are things I think it's still better to do old school