Author Topic: Danish Rifle  (Read 4689 times)

n stephenson

Danish Rifle
« on: February 04, 2018, 09:39:33 PM »
If the moderators decide to remove this post , I understand. It is not an ALR , but a rifle I recently built , that is based on some original Danish rifles , in Shumway`s jaeger book.  The maker of the original was Friedrich Ofterman, who died in 1718. He worked in Copenhagen  receiving his license to trade in 1648 . The rifle I built is  not a copy of the Ofterman rifle , but styled closely to it. An ALR forum member approached me with this project last summer .The stock is English Walnut.  The barrel is a .60 caliber Rice , Dutch pattern 40 inch long . The lock is a Chambers , and very similar to the original . The butt plate is a TOTW casting that I modified . The TG is a Brown Bess that I modified. The thimbles are also modified Bess castings. The toe of the stock has a sliding box , with a push button release. The sideplate I cut from sheet brass. The cheek piece is applied , like the original I pegged and glued it on. The carving was based on the original , as well as the upper and lower forestock moldings . I made my stock pattern as close as I possibly could to the original, and the rifle feels very good to me . I can`t say for sure but I could see the possibility of at least a few rifles like this making it to the Colonies . I have nothing to base that on however.  While not an ALR , I still built it , using the same basic process .  Thanks Nate

uploaded photos

temporary hosting photo

« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 10:04:11 PM by n stephenson »

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Re: Danish Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 10:20:50 PM »
   Nate first off . Thats one unique build...impressed with the side plate too...that had to be challenging to make...well maybe not for you...last but not least...how do you inlet a butt  plate like that...without gaps... Getting to like this style more an more....thanks for showing something...a little outside the box...

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 11:03:16 PM »
Nicely done,interesting rifle,never a bad thing to see other folks work from across the pond.

Offline steve1122

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 12:37:02 AM »
Man! That is COOL! That guy is going to be one happy customer.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 02:00:21 AM »
First one of those I ever saw. I like it though ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Silky921

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 04:07:21 AM »
Very interesting rifle and thought process behind it. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 05:14:37 PM »
That is a super cool rifle, Nate!  I love the cheek piece!  Very nicely done all the way around.  Really like what you did with the butt piece and trigger guard too.  Thanks for posting!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 05:27:56 PM »
Very interesting rifle.  I particularly like the applied cheekpiece. Nicely done!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 05:41:38 PM »
Nate,

Soon as I saw the first photo I knew which rifle you were basing this one on!
You have done a beautiful job, and captured the very comfortable wrist style perfectly. 
Those long winding tangs leave no room for messing up, and again you have done a fantastic job!

Congrats on such a build, and I for one would like to see more of this type.
I bet it fits like a glove.   :-)

High regards,
Richard.

PS,  Been living in the dark, and until V recently had No Idea Jim was making this lock!

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 06:03:32 PM »
Nate,
Love those early guns! Your rendition is spot on.
Kevin

Pukka Bundook, that's one of Jim's Jaeger locks the blind screws really dress the lock plate. Why he doesn't picture it on his sight I haven't figured out.
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Hemo

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 07:27:44 PM »
Neat job on a very interesting continental rifle! I took a look at Shumway's jaeger rifle book, and I see elements of a couple of different Danish guns--your stock architecture looks like it was based on the gun starting on page 196 and your sideplate and maybe triggerguard filing from the one on page 202. Cool features! I used the same book to design and build a wheellock jaeger based on combined features of several Brandenburg guns by Elias Schintzel. Fun to mix and match different features and put them all together.
I don't see any pictures of your unusual butt trap on the bottom surface of your gun in the Danish section. Is that shown somewhere else in the Shumway book?
I like what you did, and I'm sure your customer will too!

Gregg

n stephenson

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 07:48:58 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the kind words. Gregg , the sliding box is in the toe of the first rifle. I didn't know about doing this build at first but, I figured I should practice what I preach. I constantly tell new builders to step outside of their comfort zone and try new things. I realize my rendition was far from what the original was . The wood worked nicely , except it was easy to chip , as evident in the gappy sideplate inlet. I decided not to fill the gaps , because I thought it would look worse with filler. My biggest concern was trying to get the stock architecture right. I used a method I have done many times before. To avoid copyright infringement I take a piece of tracing paper and trace the picture of a rifle out of a book or other source , very closely. I take the tracing to Office Max and , "blow it up " on their large copier until the LOP  is the length I want. This way I should end up with a copy of the original profile. That is how I got my profile , because the architecture of this piece would be hard for me to get right. This rifle holds and feels very good , I really didn't know what to expect , but those Danish Masters , definitely knew how to make a good handling rifle.   Thanks again . Nate

Online Daryl

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 08:00:56 PM »
Pretty nice, Nate - looks like a fun gun to shoot!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Hemo

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 08:14:29 PM »
Gregg , the sliding box is in the toe of the first rifle.

Ah, I see it now on those first rifle pictures. It looks skinnier than the one you made. Neat feature, one I've never seen before!

Gregg

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 02:38:05 AM »
I might be in the minority on this one, but I find that rifle more beautiful than any ALR I've seen. Love that rifle. I have pics that I save that are rifles from different builders that I use to inspire me in my endeavours. This is one I'll reflect on for sure!
Greg

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 06:51:42 AM »
I agree, very unique and very well done.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 06:00:59 PM »
Nate,

That is an interesting project and you have executed it very well indeed.  I think the ALR community is OK with European guns; I certainly am.

You mentioned copyright infringement fears.  I am NOT an attorney but it is my understanding that you need not fear.  A copyright is intended to protect the author of a work from the loss of proceeds from the sale of her/his work.  If you have bought a book through legal means and you want to duplicate part of it for your own use you are free to do so.  You have already paid for the book and the author received a royalty from the publisher.  If you duplicate part of it and give that duplicate to someone else to save them of the cost of purchasing the book then you have deprived the author of the proceeds from the sale of her/his work and have infringed on the copyright.  If I take my copy of RCA and photocopy a picture from it onto graph paper so I can scale-up to full-size the use of the photocopier does NOT constitute copyright infringement because my actions did no deprive Mr. Schumway of royalty revenue.

Keep up the good work!

Best Regards,

JMC
John Cholin

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 06:39:27 PM »
I keep coming back to this rifle, Nate. Great job!
                                             Dan

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 06:52:10 PM »
Gregg , the sliding box is in the toe of the first rifle.

Ah, I see it now on those first rifle pictures. It looks skinnier than the one you made. Neat feature, one I've never seen before!

Gregg

Gregg,
If I remember right, the original was a .40 cal, so yes, a bit slimmer .
 I like this one more though!  :-)

ddoyle

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 10:16:04 PM »
With out the Dutch I fail to see how America let alone the ALR would have developed in anyway similiar to what we now know. Fantastic piece of American history. Thanks for sharing. Heck considering the experience our ancestors had at dutch looms it would be remiss to not make a possible connection to the patched round ball and a dutch rifle LOL.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 06:05:02 AM »
Neat build Nate. I've looked at the "Dutch" barrels at shows and never could bring myself to buy one with that huge breech. You did a good job with keeping things looking slim on the rifle.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 07:00:56 AM »
Very appealing rifle, Nate!  Glad you stepped "out of the box" and then shared it with us!  What did you use to finish that English walnut?   It has a nice mellow ambiance to it.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

ddoyle

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 08:27:18 AM »

If you have a computer screen larger then the LOP scan or photograph the picture and use your screens zoom function to adjust the size. Then tape paper to the screen and trace. The back lite screen makes a clean trace easy and the zoom function lets you get it spot on and saves a trip to the copy shop.

cheers
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 08:46:10 PM by ddoyle »

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 05:41:04 PM »
I've done it as you describe Dave.
Blown a part up until it matches original measurements, then traced it off the screen.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2018, 08:13:43 PM »
I kinda like those Dutchy looking guns but the carving is a lot different than what we are used to.
Nate you did a real nice job on that gun, the architecture would drive me nuts.