Author Topic: Maybe 4th build.  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Pukka Bundook

Maybe 4th build.
« on: November 05, 2017, 09:23:25 PM »
Did this one also a long time ago.
Funny how pictures travel, as I have seen some come back to me on this one from other sites, so you may have seen some somewhere.
Well it's still mine, or was until I gave it to my daughter. It still lives here though.
Barrel was a Colrain 20 bore, altered to look matchlock.  Wood was given me by a local trucker who had it as blocking with a load he brought up from the US.
Hard maple I think. hard anyway!
I enjoyed every minute of this build, as arms at that period were usually half crude, and I can do crude.  :-)
Inlays are old buffalo bones and such out of the muskeg.  Brass wire and bit of silver.   other inlays are mother -of -pearl, from the local river further east, and stag horn.  The small oval ones at breech are ivory from piano keys.
Meant to look English /German /Dutch.  Some of the scrimshaw bits and animals are taken from originals found on E Dutcxh or German guns.
It's all homemade except the barrel.
Hunted mule -deer with it and it works.
Sorry for lousy pictures. When we first started reducing the size , we had no idea how to do it right and got wavy lines. Never have got back to taking more photos.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 04:25:34 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Re: Maybe 4th build.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 09:39:22 PM »
  Very cool an diffianatly different....your inlay work is very detailed..An not to mention your carving an bone work...! Thanks for showing...Oldtravler

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 09:49:01 PM »
Well, aren't you clever? That's really an exceptional piece, well done!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 10:06:04 PM »
That is a gorgeous matchlock and the work is very impressive.  Wow!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 10:10:49 PM »
I'll have to say ya got skills
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 10:17:19 PM »
So give us some background.  You just pick up a chisel one day?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 11:16:15 PM »
Pleased you all like it.
 I think there are 340 inlays if I remember right and some have never had their photo taken.

Background for Rich;
Always mad about antique guns.  (Good start!)
First "build was back in Yorkshire when I was in school. Not real build you understand, just making something that would shoot.  That was about 1965 or so.
Bored a barrel out in metal -shop, and took it home to finish.  (pistol)
Bought fireworks for the powder.   
Never had any money growing up on a farm, so bought relics and got to fixing them up.  Very nice way to learn, working on old has-beens.
Had some that were old thoroughbreds, but sadly come down in the world. Still have!

Always studied books on antique arms, and after you do that a long time, it sort of sets a grid in your mind, and everything you see gets filtered through it, so if something is off you know it.  (I still do 'off" sometimes. :-)
I think it's just a passion that's all. No formal training, just having to get things working.  Always liked old hand tools, so learned how to handle and sharpen them, and use them right. Didn't matter if it was a scythe, axe, saw or chisel.  I still get a thrill using them.
Electric stuff can get away on me, so don't use it much.  I swamped the barrel of my third build by hand.  Made a cutter that worked like a draw-knif out of a reaper file.  It worked, but I didn't need my coat on when I was running it.  Had shavings of iron up to my knees when I had is done! LOL!

Always wanted a Colonial rifle and it never dawned on me to Make one, but saw the Mark Silver kit years ago, and fell in love with it.
Sold all sorts of things I'd wished I'd kept to get that kit.
It did turn out nice I thought, handles beautifully and I used it for hunting 9 years straight and never got skunked.  (This was after we move dover here to Canada, so in the late 80's maybe  not sure now.)
That's when I thought I'd cheated myself and could make more instead of buying a kit, hence builds that followed.
Trouble is, I'm pretty well on my own with farm work these days so time is always awful short.
Winter is play -time when I can manage it.
That third build, no photos at present, had a Late ketland Chambers lock, and 2 or 3 tiny wood screws that were bought, rest was homemade.
Last one has 2 wood screws bought, but they'll be replaced when I get at it.
Got to know Ron Ehlert a bit, and What a privilege! 
In 2003 he got me a partial scholar-ship at the WKU Rifle -building course.  (Can't think of proper name)

I went down and stayed with Ron a few days prior, and had a BLAST!.............Feeding his turkeys and deer, just messing about. it was fantastic!
The course was "building an American Fowler" Ron's class.
I had a brilliant time!  A great highlight of my life.
I sort of realised I didn't fit, as these courses cost money, but what a privialge to get down there and meet folks!   All the teachers, all the wonderfully friendly folks!  It was  the greatest of times.
When Ron passed away so suddenly it sort of knocked my end in. Didn't get much done for the longest time.  Feel like I'd like to get a bit more done now, before these knarly old arthritic hands quit on me!  :-)
So, yes, I did get that one course in on building a fowler, it was great, and Ron kindly had an English gun there as well by Griffin so I spent a lot of time copying the stock form on that one, as it would have to be my referral piece for the future!
I made my fowler into a Griffin, (!) as I thought I'd never get to own a real one.  :-)

Engraving was sort of make a graver out of a small 3-corned file and have at 'er.  Learn as you go.
If it doesn't look right it probably isn't !
 I never have got good at engraving, and a course might be worth it's weight in gold.
The bone in the above pictures was a challenge, as old bone although the right colour, is very brittle and wants to chip out.
Hardest part of the one above was drawing the little animals like they did back then;  Half comical and always running about in a most unnatural but lively manner.
To be honest, if they looked like Real animals, I'd have got it wrong for this type of work.  Once I could draw them, I could bring them to life.
The inlays are maybe 1/8" deep, so they can't just fall out. Silver/brass wire is a bit less, but still pretty deep and has saw -teeth on the inlet edge so when wood swells back up, they're locked in.

Thanks for the kind words all, and I had the time of my life on the one trip I ha down there!!!

Richard.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 11:35:58 PM »
Richard,
I absolutely love this gun!!

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 12:35:32 AM »
Nice write up Richard. Welcome to the forum. I was lucky too as I got to know Ron Ehlert too and did some shooting with him several times. He had a fantastic Jager rifle that most would covet. Keep us posted on your projects. Very nice work. Smylee    :)

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 02:22:51 AM »
You know, I fell like I've come home! Everyone so welcoming and all.

Thanks so much and pleased you like it.   It  is very fast in the ignition department too.
James,
So pleased you like it!  Your work is fantastic, just looked at your leather-work on your blog page!!!

Smylee
Thank you for the  welcome.

Yes, Ron had that "Jeager" when I was down there at the seminar.   He took it out to the farm where we had some shooting and and a fine picnic on the last Saturday.
He shot an edge-ways on playing card with it, and gave both  parts to a young lad there.
I asked Ron if I could have a go, and did, Somehow I also shot the card in two, and gave the little lad one piece. The other one I stuck in the visor of Ron's truck.

Ron also had a Fantastic Germanic lock he'd engraved. Wasn't fitted to anything. I kept reminding him to give it to me, but he "forgot"!

Thanks so much guys.
Richard.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 03:22:49 AM »
Pukka:  your work is to be commended for sure!  From design to finish...excellent workmanship.  I love this sort of thing!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 04:34:16 AM »
Yeah, yeah.  Another totally common run-of-the-mill inlaid fancy matchlock.  Not!   ;-)  Just kidding of course.  I love seeing out of the ordinary pieces, and you sure made a beauty.  Well done, and thank you for sharing.  I think it needs to make a visit to Jamestowne.  Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 04:28:40 PM »
Got a good laugh at your reply, Marcuger!!

Pleased you chaps like it.   :)

Maybe I should just say that this build was the fault of Maurice Taylor, another deported Brit.
Maurice wrote an article about "Archaic Locks"  back in maybe the early '90's  in I think Muzzleloader magazine.
He spoke of sanaphaunce , dog-locks and all such.
In the article he said  quote,"  For reliability, the palm must ever go to the matchlock" 
That did it, I Had to make one to find out!
Maurice has been using such old archaic guns, chasing goats up and down the Nelson Range in NZ for many years now.
We finally got in touch through a mutual friend, (Pommy B to some!................he's another import from back home, but slightly less as he's not from Yorkshire like Maurice and myself LOL!!!)
Pommy and myself kid each other unmercifully, but he's a good lad really.  Brilliant in fact but don't let him know I said so.

Richard.
PS, Maurice was right, the matchlock with good match is hard to beat and Fast!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 05:58:26 PM »
Ah, Maurice Taylor. Never understood a single word he said. :o
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?