Author Topic: First build from blank half stock hog/smr  (Read 4725 times)

somehippy

First build from blank half stock hog/smr
« on: November 03, 2017, 10:36:24 PM »
Got some time on a computer so thought id post some pics (phone wont let me).  This was my first build from a plank. Stock #2 as I buggered #1 pretty good.  Made a few boo boos, my barrel channel has a couple wide spots and my ramrod hole came up through the bottom of it, oh well, I also had to bring the lock ahead and tip the tail down into the wrist to get it to look alright (to me).  I got my inspiration for it from a couple pics on here and a rifle on the contemporary builders site and kinda blended them.  Being my first build from a blank I wanted to keep things simple and make a poor boy, omitting the buttplate and entry pipe.  I forged up a couple sets of dst's but the came out too bulky for the petite rifle.  So I decided to make a simple pinned trigger, not even a trigger plate, just a clean slot.  I know most southern guns have day's, but I did come across a few plain "hog" rifles, so I gave myself the go ahead.  Which is ok, I can fit a gloved finger in there good and have a nice crisp 3.5# trigger pull I can feel well through the glove.

I everything but the 3 screws (which I had to modify anyway), the lock and the barrel.  Barrel is .30 FCI, lock is l and r bailes.  Forged one piece trigger guard and trigger.  Ramrod pipes and lock washer made from Silver conchos the saddle part box pounded flat. The RR pipes had little Daisy's on them that I kept instead of filing them off. Stock is cherry stained with apple cider vinegar and barbed wire, spray painted flat black to fill pores/age, scraped/sanded and stained again then finished with BLO.

I'm pretty happy with er, it even seems to go bang for me too!  Mr burtons lil barrel loads with ease, I was worried about the 1/4" wood ramrod, but so far she loads as good on the 20 somethinth shot as the second (first is a bit tighter). 

Wouldn't have all came together without this place!

somehippy

Re: First build from blank half stock hog/smr
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 10:42:03 PM »
pic of rr pipe before finishing underrib.

photos uploader

I dunno why pics came out tiny, but I see they showed up.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 11:16:37 PM by somehippy »

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 12:01:41 AM »
 8) 8) 8)... pix 8) are tiny and my old eyes can't see much detail .... is half-stock ..? .... does have great southern hog rifle style ....I applaud your ambition and work ..... everybody starts somewhere .... appears like a pretty good gun to me ... !!! ... Regards, C. C. Fiddler .....

somehippy

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 03:03:18 AM »
Thanks for the words of encouragement Mr fiddler.  Hopefully get bigger pics edited in tomorrow, first attempt came out huge and chopped a bunch off now these ones were tiny :/ I am quite possibly the least computerly inclined 25 year old around...

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 03:14:21 PM »
Yeah, can't see much from the tiny pics, but I'm happy that you were able to put a gun together.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

lostinthewoods

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 04:54:52 PM »
Sounds interesting! Any way to get larger pictures? I'm sure it looks great, just can't see.

somehippy

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 01:25:05 AM »
Hope these turn out bigger than the others.

somehippy

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 01:28:26 AM »
looks like they worked, heres a few more, thanks for looking!

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 03:33:23 AM »
 ;) ;) ;)... Looks good ... I see a Tennessee Hog rifle there ....!!! .... I like the wood barrel rib, too ..!! .... nice mountain smith touch ....I just wish you had browned the barrel (hahaha) ..... never saw a wood rib until I found this rifle pictured below .... thought it was so unique I had to buy it  .... came from Blount Co., TN .... BTW ... new pix are great and can left click on individual pix to enlarge ....Thanx, and Well Done ...!!! .... regards,.... C C Fiddler

uploading sites for free

somehippy

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 05:25:51 AM »
Thanks mr fiddler! You post some of the finest pics of these southern beauties around.  I plan to brown the barrel when I get the sights the way I like em.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 05:58:48 AM »
You got it looking the part allright!   Very good work.  Simple and clean.
Yes, it makes the right statement. I do like it!  Good build. 

greybeard

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 11:24:23 AM »
Hi Luke.  Pretty neat . Yrs   Bob

n stephenson

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 07:16:13 PM »
Very Cool!! little rifle . It really looks good to me . I had a friend [ now deceased] that had 4 old southern half stocks . Your piece reminds me of those rifles . I`ve always liked the Half stock SMRs . Nice Job!!! Nate

lostinthewoods

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 11:18:58 PM »
Yes! The rifle looks great!

somehippy

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 12:00:10 AM »
Thank you all for the replies/compliments.  Im pretty happy with the lil rifle, it's just what I envisioned.  Being a simple gun it really gave me some confidence after my somewhat traumatizing experience with a kit, It feels alot easier working with my own mistakes instead of someone elses (and I know who's responsible and can cuss him out in person ;) ).  Still finding a pet load but she's a blast to shoot.  Probably weighs  well under 5 lbs.  Hope to chase some bunnies with it and maybe try to get a coyote called in real close.  I feel giddy every time I pick it up :)

Leroyvdh

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 06:34:19 PM »
Turned out nice.. Can't wait till spring to shoot it  8)..
Thanks Leroy

ddoyle

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 03:57:04 AM »
Some rifles just scream "I am gonna hit exactly where you wish" that one has it in spades.  I am pretty ignorant on regional rifles, Is a Hog rifle actually used for Hog hunting?  Are there any distinguishing feature that seperates it from a rifle for small game and other general life duties in the Arcadia mnts.

Or is it a hog rifle cause it is plain enough to use as a crutch to hobble home on after chasing dogs up and down the mountain?

Thanks for sharing

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 02:18:07 PM »
The name hog rifle has much more humble meaning, it was the old ML rifle that was brought out at hog killing time. Usually around the first good cold period in the fall so the meat didn't spoil.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

ddoyle

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 01:33:24 AM »

Thanks Dennis,

I guess the rifle saved wear and tear on the hammer and Momma's best kitchen knife ;D- I was taught to use a bucket with a drop of molasses in the bottom- all hogs should go to hog heaven with sweet lips, makes the blood sausage set better.  Oh for simpler times. Thanks for answering my question.