Author Topic: Firewood or Gunstock?  (Read 5734 times)

Offline t.caster

Firewood or Gunstock?
« on: November 07, 2017, 11:01:56 PM »
While the sealer is drying on my latest J P Beck rifle, I am kicking around ideas for my next build. I had been thinking of a very plain American restock of a hypothetical "broken on the battlefield Jaeger" using parts I have on hand. A Jaeger schimmel? I have some nice pieces black walnut cut for me by a farmer friend a couple miles from me. I got this one cut out of the board and wouldn't you know it....a knot passing right through the wrist as seen below. If I slide everything to the cheek side I could avoid most of it, but there will still be an ugly scar. Hmmm...maybe wrap it with brass, like a break repair !?!? It would be a plain hunting flintlock rifle with a .62 cal x 29" oct. to round barrel.
Should I go ahead with this piece or scrap it out? I don't need anymore pistol blanks, but maybe one of you does.
Thoughts?

Tom C.

Offline BJH

Re: Firewood or Gunstock?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 11:25:23 PM »
For a personal use gun I'd probably give it a go. Jeagers made in Central Europe often had patches covering repaired areas due to wood defects.  As long as your judgement says you have no structural problem I'd say why not? BJH
BJH

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 11:25:30 PM »
 Since it is going to be "a hypothetical broken on the battle field Jaeger" I would go with the repair like on this one:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=46303.msg455025#msg455025

Then if needed you could put a piece in to strengthen it or just cover the scar.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 11:27:35 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 11:25:48 PM »
Tom:  I wouldn't hesitate to use that wood.  Once you have the gun roughed out, mix up some AcraGlas from Brownell's, stain it very dark brown, set the wood under an incandescent light bulb for 15 minutes, or heat the wood gently with a gentle heat gun, apply the runny exopy letting it absorb as much as will go in.  Once it puddles, apply a piece of clear packing tape over the puddle.  That will keep glass at the surface and eliminate air bubbles.  When it cures, remove the tape, dress the wood down to final, and finish.  If the knot offends, stain the whole stock dark and call it a beauty mark.  Or leave it loud.  As I have said in the past, good stock wood doesn't grow on trees!  The stock will be lots strong enough.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 11:57:44 PM »
I'd use it. I'd do as Taylor says or if the knot ends up really ugly I'd patch it. Patches were common.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 12:27:48 AM »
I'd go with it as well,kinda like them knots,had one in my stock that I'm working on now.Was a real pretty one and no hollow places in it,thought wow this will really look good when done.As I removed more and more wood the smaller it got.Almost gone now,bummer.The only thing i would worry about is if they are connected,its a long shot that they are but if so,might be trouble

Offline Hudnut

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 12:48:36 AM »
The knot is at an angle.  I suspect most - or even all - of it might disappear as the stock is shaped.  Lots of wood to remove in that area.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 01:14:43 AM »
On the other hand you could sell it to me at a big discount!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 01:47:42 AM »
That's walnut?  Sure looks like curly maple to me.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

n stephenson

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 02:23:52 AM »
Sounds like the "go for its " have spoken . We have all seen some old  guns with inclusions in the stocks. They just kind of add character in my opinion.   Nate

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 03:00:44 AM »
If you are concerned about strength, drill the wrist, under the tang toward the butplate, epoxy a piece of 3/8" aluminum rod in the hole.  It won't break!

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 03:49:25 AM »
  Tom go for it..it will give it character...Just follow Taylor's advice...Mike

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 09:07:39 AM »
Tim beat me to it.  If you're already making as a repaired battlefield gun, use a brass patch.  Beat the stock up a bit,  ala Mike Brooks. 
In His grip,

Dane

54ball

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 02:09:37 PM »
 Now is this battlefield theme due to the knot or is it something you have planned for some time? A knot can be an interesting feature. All I'm saying is I would build a straight up build...non theme if the knot is not hollow or does not have a nasty bark intrusion.

Since we all know gun building is an incredible amount of work I would do my layout and rough saw out the butt first kind of like a pre-carve. That way you know what you have and you have not invested the time and or money in inletting.

That walnut looks to have curl so I would give it a chance, a chance at a top notch build.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 08:27:24 PM »
 :o Wow, not the response I expected. My former master (the late Jack Gee) would roll over in his grave if I used this stock! Mainly from a quality of build standpoint. I might make it hard to sell as well.
I'm not opposed to knots in the buttstock area, my Brandenburg Jaeger has about 20 tiny ones that I think are beautiful! Like birdseyes.
But this one thru the wrist is a structural defect, even though I know it can be easily fixed & patched, etc. I have much better figured wood in another huge plank that I can use.
I do appreciate all the feedback though.
Thanks,
Tom
Tom C.

54ball

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 09:14:05 PM »
So,
Was this a trick question? ::)

Offline ScottH

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 09:25:06 PM »
Dave Crisalli - davec2 on here, has shown a couple of times how he fixed the wrist area on a couple of stocks that had run out in the grain. He milled out a slot most of the way through the wrist from the bottom that will be covered by the trigger guard and inletted a nice strong piece piece of walnut or other strong wood and epoxied it in. Thats how I would fix this one if it needs fixing and would still make an attractive stock. My 2 cents  ;)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 11:04:55 PM »
I'm sure somebody here would like to buy that stock if you don't want to use it.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2017, 11:25:11 PM »
I would take it - Mike has been telling me to build from a blank anyway... I think it has character.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2017, 11:33:40 PM »
I wouldn't use it.   Building a gun is hard enough work alone.  Fighting wood is another battle.  The cost of a decent piece of wood is only a small fraction of the value of a well built rifle.

Don't get me wrong, I hate to see wood wasted and have used my share of suspect stuff, but I'm more apt to avoid it today. 

Jim

Offline t.caster

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2017, 07:06:44 PM »
There is no curl in this piece, but it has some nice wavy grain thru the lock & forestock region. What looked like curl is just my saw cut. It is 2 3/8" wide, 48" long for a 32-33" barrel. It was cut in 2010 and air dried indoors.
I wouldn't mind selling it and split the proceeds with the ALR sight administrator. What are my offers???

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 07:29:19 PM by t.caster »
Tom C.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2017, 09:37:44 PM »
I didn't start this thread to sell my wood, but Jon made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
SOLD pending funds.
Tom C.

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2017, 10:58:15 PM »
I worked at the Ohio Historical Society for a number of years as the supervisor of the carpenter/cabinet shop. I became good friends with the cabinet maker in the recreated Ohio Village. His name is Tom Clark. His philosophy was..."the cost of the raw materials is a very small fraction of the final product, so get the best wood you can find."   I totally agree with him....Don't skimp on the wood........Just my 2 cents....Dan
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"