Author Topic: Euroarms jager?  (Read 3134 times)

Lead ball 54

Euroarms jager?
« on: January 16, 2018, 04:38:16 AM »
I am looking at one but in my limited research can't find any info on a Jager but I can on the Kentuckian my Q is are they one in the same and does anyone have any experience and opinions thanks

Offline Daryl

Re: Euroarms jager?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 05:17:40 AM »
I have never heard of a commercially made Jaeger rifle, by anyone. If some commercial company does make one, I would be interested to see it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:18:16 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 05:27:15 AM »
I'm thinking Pedersoli made one but it had a 1-24 twist or some thing like that in a 54 cal.

Offline trentOH

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 07:06:08 AM »
I'm thinking Pedersoli made one but it had a 1-24 twist or some thing like that in a 54 cal.

Yup. Dixie Gun Works lists it in their catalog. If memory serves, they were made with a fast twist back in the day. My hunch is that rifling for accuracy sake wasn't fully understood at that early stage of rifle development.  At it's inception, rifling was designed as a place in the barrel that powder fouling could go to be out of the way, allowing longer periods between wiping the bore, and thus a ball closer to bore diameter.

Welcome to the forum! There is much to learn, and this is a great place to get your education.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 07:07:19 AM by trentOH »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 04:20:51 PM »

Yup. Dixie Gun Works lists it in their catalog. If memory serves, they were made with a fast twist back in the day. My hunch is that rifling for accuracy sake wasn't fully understood at that early stage of rifle development.  At it's inception, rifling was designed as a place in the barrel that powder fouling could go to be out of the way, allowing longer periods between wiping the bore, and thus a ball closer to bore diameter.

Welcome to the forum! There is much to learn, and this is a great place to get your education.

Dixie has offered Jaegers for a long time and they seem to be well made. How good the
locks are I don't know.
I have also read the "rifled"or grooved barrel was not for accuracy but an idea as to what
to do about powder fouling.

Bob Roller

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 06:11:34 PM »
I think by the time the original "Jaeger" type rifles were made, rifling for accuracy was well understood.  After all, they had been rifling and fitting V good sights since the very early 1500's or late 1400's.
Yes, a tight twist requires less powder, but can be accurate, and the heavy ball did the work.
Bill Curtis RA, had one and it was Very accurate in his opinion.

Best,
Richard.

Lee44shootercnb

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 07:34:55 PM »
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/partdetail.aspx/602/1/JAEGER-RIFLE-FLINT-PARTS-LIST

“Long rifles were used effectively after the Revolution, notably at the Battle of New Orleans in 1815. It is probable that the long rifles received the name "Kentucky" rifles in this battle, indicating the men who used them, not the Pennsylvania gunsmiths who made most of them. Pennsylvania historians and gun collectors have always resented the terminology.“
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 07:37:56 PM by Lee44shootercnb »

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 03:43:25 PM »
Pedersoli has a short rifle they call a Jaeger, but it's only likeness to said is that it is short.   Periodically the really experienced guys on the forum will bad mouth it when somebody posts because it does not matter what you do to it, it'll never be a Jaeger.

When I first came back to 18th Century interests after 15 years in Cowboy Action, I bought one because I wanted a platform to try some rifle making skills, and was too chicken to start with a kit.

I learned the mechanics of  carving on it ( inclusive of how badly I needed to practice and improve) , learned how to draw file by swamping the corners of the octagon because the balance was so bad  ( it ended up still a little too heavy), learned all about forearm moulding and learned all about epoxy and filing when I got rid of the horrid black plastic piece at the base of the patchbox by replacing that and the toe with real bone.

I shot it once and got it to group pretty well but stopped short of replacing the trigger guard because, in Mike Brook's words..."It'll never be a Jaeger."
I flipped it, went to Pecatonica for parts, and made one from their stock.

One of the major areas of profit I got out of all this was an appreciation for the guys on this forum.

If it comes to a make or buy with a factory gun, make...

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 09:34:33 PM »
That rifle looks just fine to me. :D

So does the one on that Trackofthewolf page.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:35:37 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V