Author Topic: How's my pistol looking so far?  (Read 4064 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

How's my pistol looking so far?
« on: January 22, 2018, 06:37:39 PM »
This is my first pistol. I've built a few rifles, and figured it was time to try a pistol.  What do you think of the lock panel layout and pistol so far? The grain in the grip getting the triggerguard bow in was a pain in the $#%.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 07:40:55 PM by Justin Urbantas »

n stephenson

Re: How's my pistol looking?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 07:23:41 PM »
Justin, I think it looks pretty good. I realize you still have a lot of wood to remove , but your shaping and, inletting looks good so far. Good to see you are spreading your creative wings . I personally like building pistols , some folks don`t . I find it more challenging to get a really good feel , when shaping a pistol stock. That is why I always try to trace good feeling pistol stocks when the owners will allow it. Good Job!   Nate

Offline Justin Urbantas

Re: How's my pistol looking so far?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 07:45:37 PM »
Yeah, I shape it to feel good in the hand and point well, as well as look graceful. Hopefully if it feels good in my hand, it will work for whomever buys it.

Hemo

Re: How's my pistol looking?
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 07:50:21 PM »
Justin, I think your layout lines around the lock panel are on the money. In your photo, though, it looks like you may be gouging the wood around the rear lower panel a bit deep. I would probably use those layout lines and use half-round and flat rasps to create a smooth curve from the edges of the tang and triggerguard to meet those lines and avoid cutting out a concave surface. I wouldn't attack the beavertail until the entire area around the lock panel flows smoothly into the stock. The beavertail only needs a shallow cut to define it, either left as an incised line or with some shallow background removal around the beavertail, which will leave a more graceful transition from the panel into the stock.  My two cents, anyway!

I feel your pain on the triggerguard inlet. Not too many tools are suitable for taking wood out of that strong concave surface. You did a nice clean job of it!

I like what you're doing so far--looks good! Looking forward to seeing more.

Gregg

Offline KC

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 08:10:08 PM »
Very well done, the inletting looks nice and tight. The profile looks pleasing to my eye, seems like it should make someone a nice pistol.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 09:07:39 PM »
Similar to this one.

upload multiple pictures

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Hemo

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 09:27:59 PM »
Justin, after taking another look at your earlier photos, it appears to me that you may have some trouble blending the contour of the upper fore-end just behind the nosecap into the slenderest part of the fore-end due to the position of the forward barrel pin and lug. You'll end up tapering it pretty abruptly if left as is. You could possibly move the forward lug back, overlapping the front pipe, though this might require cutting off some of the front pipe tab, depending on how long it is now. Don't mean to open a can of worms, but you'll run into this in a little while as you finish the fore-end. (Daryl's pistol has a front barrel pin in about the same position, but there's no nose cap on his.) On the other hand, you may be able to work around it if you have enough wood at the existing front pin, just by shortening the pin. Pin hole may end up shallow at the lower edge, but functional.  The nosecap pretty much determines the contour and thickness of the wood behind it.

Gregg
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 09:40:52 PM by Hemo »

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 10:08:02 PM »
Thanks for the tips Hemo. Never thought of trimming the thimble tab, and overlapping the tenon. I may have to do that on the next one. I hate the idea of filling pin holes, moving a tenon and re-drilling.  I think that the pin is high enough I can get a smooth transition (hopefully!) 

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 10:10:36 PM »
Similar to this one.

upload multiple pictures

Should be similar to that one Daryl, just with a swamped barrel.   I like the Bailes lock on it. Looks nice

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 04:41:57 AM »
Justin are those brass barrel pins?

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 05:04:23 AM »
Justin are those brass barrel pins?
yes. 3/32" brass

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 06:12:43 AM »
Tapping those brass pins in and out will eventually mushroom the ends. Not good. I would switch them to steel. ( Don't ask me how I know!).

Offline little joe

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 06:57:27 AM »
flinchy  tell about the brass pins. Looking at a old photo(30) plus yrs ago taken at the old Buck Range Jan shoot VERY COLD do you recollect.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 06:58:16 AM »
That's an easy fix. I have plenty of steel rod

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 07:11:43 AM »
I don't want to talk about any brass pins!
Is that when I was trying to talk you into walking from Kaskaskia to Vincennes?

JVavrek

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 07:42:55 AM »
Thanks for sharing it Justin. It looks good so far. Please keep us updated.

Offline little joe

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 05:23:01 PM »
Flinchy Lets forget about pins as I,v had too many go haywire. Kaskaskia to Vincennes sounds long and cold to me.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 08:50:19 PM »
Looks good Justin.  I only will comment about your rear sight.   From my  experience shooting pistols, the best rear sight location is as far back as possible. 

My next pistol build that has a rear sight will have it mounted either on the very edge of the barrel where it meets the tang or on the tang itself.
Joel Hall

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 09:37:12 PM »
Justin - the barrel on this pistol is actually swamped, a bit. It is subtle, but indeed, swamped.  It was a piece of 1" .53 octagonal rifle barrel,
that I turned and tapered the octagonal section by filing.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V