Author Topic: Hardening screw heads  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Mauser06

Hardening screw heads
« on: January 25, 2018, 09:24:58 AM »
Forgive me..I know next to nothing about metal work, heat treating, hardening, tempering etc.

One thing I'd like to do is harden screw heads.  No matter how careful I am, I always booger them up. Just seem to be pretty soft.

I don't have access to much...I have a propane torch. I don't know if that would be enough? 

I did a search and seems many case harden with kasenite..i don't have any..but sure I could find some.

Figured I'd ask and see what is recommend...didn't know if heating and quenching in oil or water or something would work..

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
Re: Hardening screw heads
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 01:12:33 PM »
For screw heads, propane works fine.  Kasenite is off of the market, but there are a few replacements.  Brownells has a good one.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 02:44:44 PM »
Thanx!   

I think I will give it a try.  I know that's one thing that drives me nuts. Even if I'm careful, use a proper screw driver, etc, seems I mark up every screw head.

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 03:25:44 PM »
Hi,
To replace kasenite, you can purchase a product called " cherry red " it will do much the same work as kasenite.
If you live in or near a larger city you can purchase it at a welding supply store or a metal supplier.
Have a great day!
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 08:18:21 PM »
You will still have to be cautious with case hardened screws. The hardening is very shallow. I made my lock bolts out of O1 and tempered them back to around 48Rc.
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 10:06:09 PM »
Mr. Mauser - I might suggest you try heat treating a few screws just to get the hang of it, before you heat up a nicely finished item.

Just to be picky, you will get a faster quench (more chance of it getting hard), actually with less distortion, if you quench in salt water. That is about 13 ounces of table salt in a gallon of water. Works nicely for knives of carbon steel, like 1095 or old files. (not necessary for alloyed steel, such as O1, A6 or D2)

I got my first heat treat lesson using Kasenit over a coal forge, with instructions from the blacksmith in Salisbury, Maryland 1959. My amazing $5 Miller Bedford flint lock sort of sparked, after I finished hardening (sorta) the frizzen.

First job as a metallurgist Black & Decker, Towson, Maryland 1963.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 10:25:58 PM »
Thanx all!   

I would certainly test it out before jumping to a finished product.

Even if they are only surface hardened, I think that would help. 

I guess my last build I used more wood screws than typically used so that probably factors into my issue. Normal build will have about 5 screws. 2 in the lock, 1 in the tang and 2 in the buttplate.

ddoyle

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 10:26:15 PM »
JCkelly,

Big thanks for the prescription for salt water. I never knew how much salt was called for when I read 'brine'. Huge help.  one for the book of notes.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 12:30:40 AM »
Are you boogering up your screws during the build?  I use scrap screws during the build and only use the permanent ones last.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Terry Reynolds

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 01:22:02 AM »
Are you boogering up your screws during the build?  I use scrap screws during the build and only use the permanent ones last.

Before I started my first build I bought a extra set of screws just because I knew they would booger up.
aka “digger658”

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 01:31:16 AM »
Well...that's about genius. Lol.  Never really thought of that.

That's probably when they get boogered up...that's the only time many are in/out a couple times. Once finished, they stay in asside from the lock bolts and occasionally the tang bolt..