Author Topic: 1803 Harpers Ferry question  (Read 2121 times)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
1803 Harpers Ferry question
« on: January 31, 2018, 06:32:10 PM »
I am nearing completion on an 1803 Harpers Ferry.  Been able to figure out most of the nuances in this particular firearm except one.  What method was used to secure the metal ramrod in the rifle.  I know of three different ways to secure it but would like to use the method that was used in the time period.
David

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: 1803 Harpers Ferry question
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 07:39:53 PM »
Make sure to always keep it muzzle up, no problemo.....
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline 45-110

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 09:34:44 PM »
i have built 2 of these and really loved both. hunted intensely with one of them for several years. i never had a issue with the rod coming out which i guess is surprising. later military rifles had the rod swell or a spoon to put tension on the rod. a spoon could be inlet if needed. i never had an original rifle to disassemble, but all my ref. material on these 1803's do not show a retention method. i guess if one was super clever, you might be able to press a knurled brass nut down the ramrod hole to screw the rod into? i found with a tuned lock mine where fantastic hunting rifles for whitetails.
best
kw

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 12:25:17 AM »
Maybe a small spring in the rr channel?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 12:29:04 AM »
Ask Don Stith.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 01:06:54 AM »
Hi Dave,
I don't believe it has any specific device to put pressure on the ramrod. On muskets with metal rods that I built that did not have ramrod springs, I design them so the metal rod, which is always tapered, snugs against the forward lock bolt. The metal on metal contact is not affected by wood swelling and the resistance does not wear smooth.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 02:14:56 AM »
I have owned several originals with dates from 1805 to 1816.  None of them had  a keeper for the rod.  You might try using a big enough tip to contact the barrel,thus putting tension on the front pipe

Offline retired fella

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 02:21:01 AM »
I don't know, just asking.  What about a slight bend in the rod to give a spring action?