Author Topic: Small lock  (Read 3553 times)

Maineshops

Small lock
« on: January 31, 2018, 04:56:44 AM »
I don’t seem to be able to post pictures. I have a small lock and was wondering if it would be suitable for a rifle. Dan

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Small lock
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 05:37:52 AM »
How small and what sort of rifle?  What size barrel?
Andover, Vermont

Maineshops

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 07:12:50 AM »
I’ll post a picture as soon as I figure it out

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 02:59:52 PM »
Have the picture on whatever device you are using to post here. PC, tablet, phone, whatever. Start a new post. Look below the text box. Notice Add image to post. Click on that and follow instructions.
Andover, Vermont

Maineshops

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 04:13:25 PM »
I don’t get an add image. I get attachments and other options and there is no add picture within

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 04:24:06 PM »
You don’t see the ‘round bullet’ w/ “Add an image”? See below:

All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Maineshops

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 04:37:56 PM »
That option does not show on my iPad ???

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 05:47:35 PM »
The availability of the Add Image button is dependent on the Theme you have selected in your Profile.  Some of the available themes (like Core) do not have the Add Image button.  Switch to the Curve theme and see if the button appears.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Maineshops

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 12:04:15 AM »
ky flinter...cant locate theme in the profile

Maineshops

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 12:07:14 AM »
always been able to post pictures up until this last try?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 12:27:29 AM »
HI,
Put your cursor on Profile above and select "Forum Profile".  Then put your cursor on  "Modify Profile" and select "Look and Layout". The first line says Current Theme.  Click on where it says "change" and you will see a selection of themes. Select the one for "Curve", which is the second option. Then save your profile change.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Maineshops

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 02:23:36 AM »
Super smart dog...thanks....I’m a computer dummy

post picture to web
Top lock is a durs egg .

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 02:32:19 AM »
The small lock looks like a “Maislin” style lock such as used to be found on CVA mountain rifles.  Size is very small for a rifle and quality is not close to other current small locks such as the Late Ketland.
Andover, Vermont

Maineshops

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 04:29:28 AM »
Rich.. that’s kinda what I thought but I know very little about what is acceptable. It seems out of place when placed on a stock blank. Thanks Dan

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 05:33:56 AM »
Back in the 80s I got some of those locks on friend’s guns to spark well and the CVA barrels could really shoot.  Because these locks are so small they need itty bitty flints.  I’d use one for a parts build for a newbie or a youth to shoot, if money was very limited.
Andover, Vermont

Offline bgf

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 06:34:07 AM »
Not as good as a chamber's late ketland is a pretty high standard :).  I have done quite a bit on a friend's original CVA mountain rifle with a percussion lock of that sort, and it was surprisingly nice internally, well finished and with a bridle on tumbler and a fly.  Very different from other CVA locks I've been into.  Assuming it sparks ok, i would use it for a slender youth rifle or a pistol, knowing that a modern replacement is available worst case.  If I remember correctly, the original Maslin was a very good and stylish lock in it's day.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 03:42:31 PM »
Not as good as a chamber's late ketland is a pretty high standard :).  I have done quite a bit on a friend's original CVA mountain rifle with a percussion lock of that sort, and it was surprisingly nice internally, well finished and with a bridle on tumbler and a fly.  Very different from other CVA locks I've been into.  Assuming it sparks ok, i would use it for a slender youth rifle or a pistol, knowing that a modern replacement is available worst case.  If I remember correctly, the original Maslin was a very good and stylish lock in it's day.

The Maslin was a nice looking lock but the indifferent assembly and no obvious interest
in quality control made it a problem.On a visit to Log Cabin shop in Lodi,Ohio I saw a
boot box nearly full of them to be returned to the maker.
I was given a fairly large number of the plates,frizzens and cocks by H.C.Hess of Livonia
Michigan and the arrival of these parts was a complete surprise.I called Hess and he said
they were a foundry over run and the foundry wouldn't take them back and the maker
at that time,Russ Hamm had a large amount on hand and didn't want them so I got them
by agreeing to make a very few locks for Mr.Hess.I haven't seen one of my versions of these
little locks for years and wonder if anyone has one.

Bob Roller

Maineshops

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 04:22:04 PM »
Lock has an adjustment screw for the sear I guess. No pot metal parts that I understand cva had

The plate is color flame or case hardened. I’ve had it in my junk box for 40 or so years

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 05:36:50 PM »
Ones I worked were case hardened and it made them pretty slick.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 06:27:41 PM »
I've got a couple of these locks on pistols I put together in the 70's. They have always been reliable sparkers.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana