Author Topic: Doc Hadaway lock.  (Read 2411 times)

Seadog28

Doc Hadaway lock.
« on: February 10, 2018, 08:52:32 PM »
Hi all, new to the site.  I have been a long rifle shooter and a casual builder when I have time.  I have built two Lancaster style rifles, 0ne in 1978 and one in 1986.  I bought the stock, barrel, trigger and lock from Jerry Marsh in Brookfield, Il.  Jerry was quite an accomplished builder and said the components were in his inventory for quite awhile before I purchased them in 1985.  The lock is a Doc Hadaway flinter and has his mark and P118.  I was wondering if anyone has an idea when this lock was produced.  I was told once that it was one of Doc's prototype locks.  Any additional data would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: Doc Hadaway lock.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 11:57:30 PM »
I know that I bought one back at the end of the 70's for my first rifle.    I ended up recycling it into my fourth rifle.   I thought it was a good lock.  I am not sure it was made much past the early 80's.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 12:09:46 AM »
The lock is a Doc Hadaway flinter and has his mark and P118.
I've got two of them and they are both marked P118.  I know they are from the early 70's.

Jerry Marsh....hadn't thought about him in years.  Used to visit his shop frequently.  I still have a TC Hawken that I built from leftover kit parts and bought an upgraded piece of walnut from him.  His blue inletting compound was some of the best ever and I still have a full tube plus one that is about 3/4 gone.

When I was getting ready to move, he offered to sell me his house in Friendship.  I seriously considered it, but decided otherwise.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 12:24:17 AM »
I have a SMR that was made in the 70's that has a Doc Hadaway lock in it.. Never have had any problems with the lock.
iloco

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 12:54:32 AM »
I know that I bought one back at the end of the 70's for my first rifle.    I ended up recycling it into my fourth rifle.   I thought it was a good lock.  I am not sure it was made much past the early 80's.

Doc Hadaway passed away in 1978. I saw him in Friendship and he asked me
to make one of the Ketland locks for him so he could make a "Flint Hawken"
for himself. He passed beforeI got it made.

Bob Roller

Seadog28

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 01:56:40 AM »
Thanks all for the info, it's kind of what I figured.  Haven't had my long gun out since 1996 and am looking forward to the spring to do some range time.
I bought the stocks for both of the rifles I built from Jerry Marsh and both had the barrel channels inlet , I think they were a couple of projects he planned to do at sometime but never got the time.  Both blanks were premium++++ maple.  I sold the first one I built in 1980 and wish now I had it back, oh well.  I was a frequent visitor to Jerry's Gun Shop since I was about 10.  I always admired his work.  Have a great week all.

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 06:22:56 AM »
I have a Haddaway lock on a gun I built in 1976. The bolster has angle on it that kicks the tail of the lock out and allows a wider wrist. IIRC Doc also made frizzens for the T/C Hawkens or maybe Lyman rifles.