Author Topic: cracking brass  (Read 1548 times)

ltdann

cracking brass
« on: February 10, 2018, 05:16:15 AM »
Just finished installing my toeplate and was fitting the buttplate back on and noticed some pretty substantial cracks developing at the toe end and the spotted some in the middle as well.

I annealed it pretty well before I started.  Could this be the result of work hardening?

What can I do, if anything?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: cracking brass
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 05:21:33 AM »
Have you been pounding on your buttplate Dann?  A lot of cast "brass" bullplates do not take well to being altered.  You could scrub the cracks well with a wire brush, flux and fill with silver solder.  It will require red heat from the inside of the plate...don't apply the flame to the crack itself.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

ltdann

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 05:27:41 AM »
Why yes ;), I have, as a matter of fact.  I thought I was being delicate using a wood mallet and light taps, but I guess not.

I'll give the silver solder a try. 

Silver solder rather than regular, right?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 06:03:13 AM »
Yes, high temp silver solder...requires red heat.  Your cracks may show a bit over time, as the brass will oxidize a little differently than the silver solder, but it shouldn't be too noticable.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

ltdann

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 07:05:29 AM »
Thanks that did the trick ;D.  The cracks in the center of the buttplate were on the surface and shallow.

The ones on the toe fixed, barely see the repair.  A little fine sanding and they'll all but disappear.

Another gunbuilding tip into the tool box of knowledge.  Thank you.

Dan