Author Topic: New member. New builder.  (Read 3922 times)

Offline Jeff Durnell

New member. New builder.
« on: February 10, 2018, 11:59:07 PM »
Hi guys. I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a soon to be 52 year old millhunky, have worked with my hands my whole adult life, I've been lurking here for a few weeks and have absorbed some valuable info from you guys just following along. I've made longbows, recurves, knives, tools, leather goods, etc and have been shooting flintlocks for decades, but recently became interested in building my own. I hope my experience in wood and metal working will help some, and while it feels like a natural progression, I can see that this is in many ways like starting yet another apprenticeship from scratch... which is perfect because I'm ready for some new challenges. A friend of mine has been making very nice longrifles for a long time. He's a meticulous craftsman and his work is inspiring, and is largely why I'm here and have decided this will be part of my journey.

Anyhow, he lent me some books, and I've recently bought some more, and videos of my own. I thought about buying an Issac Haines Chambers precarved kit for my first, but have held off because I don't want to rush into a major decision, or the process, and frankly, the more info I'm privy to, the more I see that I have some studying to do first. I didn't expect the history and geographic and cultural variety to immediately influence me the way they have. So much to consider and appreciate.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say hi, nice to virtually meet you, and warn you of impending stupid questions ;^

Offline smylee grouch

Re: New member. New builder.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 12:42:00 AM »
Hi Jeff and welcome. Lots of help and advice here if you ask for it. Good luck and best wishes.  :)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 12:53:13 AM »
Hi and welcome! You’ve certainly got enough hand tool experience to do everything technically AND you have a mentor. I’m sure you’ll do well and love building longrifles.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 01:02:46 AM »
Welcome aboard Jeff,you should be fine having already worked on the other projects you stated.Having a friend who's built long rifles is going to be a big help as well.That said,your in good shape,good luck and if you have any questions the fine folks here gladly offer their help and advise.

Offline delivered

• Old Hawkeye :(
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 01:08:14 AM »
You might want to look @ Jim Kibler's new kit?
"Ruining the future for liberals, one child at a time."

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 01:15:31 AM »
Glad to have you here.  Just a warning, it's very addictive!
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Jeff Durnell

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 01:30:55 AM »
Thanks guys.

Delivered, I checked out his site, but nothing seemed designated as 'new'. Could you be more specific?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 01:39:21 AM »
... and warn you of impending stupid questions ;^

Fine to meet you as well.

Don't worry, any time you're feeling shy about a question, just dig around.  It has been asked before, or one quite similar to it.  You really never have to expose your own ignorance if you're careful. It's often just a matter of putting the right search terms together (because topic titles are often devoid of info). This is the beauty of forums. Although we go through the same Q/A over and over again, we don't always  have to. Some find their own answers.

And some questions never get old, proven by the pages and pages of deep dark Winter debates you might find.   ::) :P ;)

Welcome

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 01:41:29 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 01:49:13 AM »
The new Kibler Lancaster rifle kit, he is taking orders.

Offline retired fella

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 03:29:15 AM »
You'll do well pilgrim. 

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 03:33:49 AM »
Jeff,
welcome to the forum, and to building rifles.  I'm sure you will love it, especially since you already have many of the skills required. 

You mentioned the Chamber's Isaac Haines kit.  I recently finished one, and can highly recommend it.  It's a great handling rifle.  It holds very well, has fast ignition, and is accurate. 
I think the barrel is a bit short for most guns of that era and locale if you are concerned about historical accuracy.  The Chambers early Lancaster has a 44 inch barrel if you want a longer barrel in a similar style.

Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 04:30:39 AM »
Another component set (kit) of similar quality to Jim Chamber's is Wayne Dunlap's.

http://dunlapwoodcrafts.com/component-sets/transition-isaac-haines-rifle

I'd seriously consider Jim Kibler's new Colonial Rifle (Lancaster/Virginia) too.

https://kiblerslongrifles.com/collections/colonial-rifle-kit

Welcome to our community.  Enjoy your stay. Some of us can be a bit cantakerous at times, but you'll be hard pressed to find a more knowledgeable, sharing group on the internet.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 04:33:07 AM by Karl Kunkel »
Kunk

Offline Berksrifle

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 04:54:44 AM »
The Dunlap is a nice kit. Little more work than the Chambers. You will have to dovetail for the under lugs and sights, come up with your barrel pins, and ramrod and some of the screws.

I am finishing one now. B weight 50 cal.

I am a retired toolmaker and any of the metal work is a piece of cake for me. I freak out on the stock work.

You should do good with you wood and metal working experience.

I don't have enough time to say how much this site has helped me.

Ken

P.S
Thanks to all the good folks on this site.

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 05:25:03 AM »
Welcome to the fold Jeff! I do not know what era you are considering but another consideration you might investigate is Jim Kibler's Southern Mountain Rifle kit. It is very authentic and in a .45 cal, it is a good hunting rifle. Reading some of the reports of guys who have finished these rifles, they are already getting a reputation for great accuracy. Just another consideration to boggle your mind. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask all the questions you can think of!
elkhorne

Offline Jeff Durnell

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 01:53:34 PM »
Hi Eric.

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. I'm looking into all the options you guys have offered. One thing that seems to be limiting my choices though is that I'm left handed, and many of these kits aren't offered in lefties.

Do these precarved stocks all allow enough wood for relief carving, if I feel brave enough?

I watched the first dvd in the Gunsmith of Grenville series last night. It would take a lot longer, but starting with a blank is something I certainly want to do... eventually.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 04:40:26 PM »
Welcome Jeff !

Any of the precare kits should serve you well with your prior experience. And yes, all have enough wood to allow low relief carving. You will want to delve into both the Baroque and Rococo styles. Do some research and some sketching of C and S scrolls, and of all the little details that combine to make up those styles. You could also do some practice carving on scrap wood blocks.

Again; WELCOME.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 05:05:57 PM »
Jeff,you are going to be limited to only a couple choices being left hand "impaired"I am and have shot many right handed ones with no problem.I am working on my first and went left handed just because.....You will have plenty of wood to work with on a pre carve.Pre carve stocks do present some challenges for a first time build.If I was you and you go that route perhaps don't have the lock inlet and do that yourself.Seems many of the problems revolve around lock,touch hole,breech plug locations.Doing the lock inlet yourself will give you a little more wiggle room for proper placement,IMHO.

Offline Vicanddogs

• Starting Member
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 05:52:20 PM »
Chamber offers  2 left hand kits the hains and pa fowler
Vic

n stephenson

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 06:33:55 PM »
Welcome Jeff!   With your abilities as well as your friend/mentor , you will be fine. The beauty of learning to build , is that you are not locked into anyone else`s notion of what  your rifle should be. You have the freedom to do your own thing. Have Fun!!!  Nate

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 04:30:51 AM »
Welcome. Enjoy the ride. There are many very talented folks on here glad to help. It sounds like you are way ahead of most new builders already.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 04:18:43 PM »
Welcome Jeff. There are many here who are able and willing to assist you with good advice. Just remember, the only stupid question is the one not asked.

Offline Jeff Durnell

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 04:23:35 PM »
Thanks guys. Don't give me too much credit or get my hopes up.... I can screw up just about anything  ;)

This seems like an active forum. I guess this is probably peak gun building season, aye?