Author Topic: What would you do with this barrel ?  (Read 4449 times)

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
What would you do with this barrel ?
« on: May 07, 2009, 03:23:43 AM »
I have a unrifled 45 cal with false muzzel. Getting it rifled is no problem, and in almost any twist I want.  Not even sure if I want round ball or bullet. I Am leaning to a under hammer just because I own the lock. So the sky is the limet. And no you can't have it ;D
David Veith
David Veith

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
Re: What would you do with this barrel ?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 06:41:47 AM »
Guess my answer would depend a lot on the width of the barrel.  If it's broad and heavy I'd go with the underhammer and a fast twist slug style gun.  OTOH, if it's a light weight maybe leave it smooth and use it for small game hunting with ball or shot.
Mike Lee

northmn

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 02:18:25 PM »
Barrel configuration is everything as to use. 

DP

lew wetzel

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 03:39:52 PM »
david,i would send it to me!!!!

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 04:54:43 PM »
Well, since you asked, David, I'd go with about a 24" twist, grooves .006" deep and twice to 2 1/2 times the width of the lands - whatever that works out to for land width - very narrow in any event.  You'd have a bullet rifle that would load easily with grooved lubricated or paper patched bullets and shoot exceptionally well up to about 350gr. bullets.  This, of course, depends on weight of barrel, of course. I'd go underhammer as in an H. Warner or W. Billinghurst style.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 07:22:54 PM »
I have a unrifled 45 cal with false muzzel.

Is it a true "false muzzle" or just a bullet starter.  There is a difference.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline trentOH

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 11:43:08 PM »
I don't mean to highjack this thread, but I am curious as to what the difference is between a "false muzzle" and a "bullet starter"?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 12:23:10 AM »
A false muzzle is a short barrel extension which fits to the muzzle of the gun.  It is designed to allow the bullet to be started without contacting the crown of the muzzle and thereby deforming the bullet and/or introducing wear to the rifle's crown.  A short starter is a piece of hand held wood, antler, etc. to which is added a short, 1/2" - 1" rod and a 4" -6" (approx) rod.  the short stud seats the ball just below the muzzle's crown while the longer rod pushes it a little further down the bore.  This makes it easier to load a tight ball/patch combo so the ramrod can more easily seat the prb/bullet on the powder.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 06:35:44 PM »
A bullet starter is a device that fits over the outside of the muzzle and has an accurately fitted starter plunger sticking out the top.  The bullet is placed over the muzzle or up into the starter's hole and the starter's body is placed onto the muzzle. A heavy push or sharp smack on the bullet starter's knob seats the bullet into the muzzle proper, where the loading rod pushed it down onto the powder.

The false muzzle is in place on the muzzle during the entire charging and loaded process to protect the perfect 90 degree crown - that which is proven to give the best accuracy over any 'chamfered', 'raduised' or 'coned' crowns.

False muzzles and bullet starter systems are normally for target shooting only.