Author Topic: Tutorial on casting using Delft clay  (Read 4531 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Tutorial on casting using Delft clay
« on: May 16, 2009, 11:40:33 PM »
HI Folks,
I posted a short description of casting with Delft clay in the tutorial section. Some of you may find it interesting and hopefully useful.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

caliber45

Re: Tutorial on casting using Delft clay
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 02:45:34 AM »
How do I get to it?

Offline JTR

• member 2
John Robbins

caliber45

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 05:55:37 AM »
JTR -- Thanks for the info on getting to the tutorial. After I noticed the toolbar at the top, I also noted that it said "casting" about nine times -- meaning I had "gotten" it several times in previous attempts, but didn't know it.
Dave -- Nice tutorial. I was interested in the possibilities for casting somewhat larger pieces -- buttplates, triggerguards. Is the delft clay system unrealistic for larger castings? Have you tried anything that size? I've started filling a second five-gallon bucket with picked up spent cartridges. Would love to use the calibers I don't shoot for casting things I DO use . . . Tks! paulallen

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 08:12:57 PM »
Hi Paul,
Theoretically, Delft clay could be used for anything normally cast in sand.  However, at the scale of trigger guards and buttplates I think the clay would be much more expensive than using sand.  You could easily build casting frames for projects as large as buttplates and then use sand or clay depending on cost. The Delft clay really shines (over sand) when you want to cast small objects that have a lot of detail.  It is almost ( the important word here is "almost")as good as investment casting with respect to maintaing the details and much better than sand. The Delft casting kit costs about $86 from Rio Grande Jewelry supplies and includes a small casting frame, about 4 lbs of clay (enough for a lot of castings), and an instructional CD.  You need to get a melting crucible with handle, borax flux, a heating source, and the means to prodce the models.  If you make your own frames, which you need to do if you want to do anything larger than a wrist escutcheon plate, you can just buy the sand at $48 per 4 lbs bag.  Certainly, sand should be a lot cheaper but won't retain the details.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 08:17:41 PM »
Dave.
  That's a real good tutorial. It may interest some to know that the Ames sword co. cast many of thier sword parts in this maner way back in the revolutionary war days. I have seen some of the molds. They would make the molds of clay and then bake them  and smoke the surfaces. They also did it with plaster.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 04:25:16 PM »
Thanks Dave,
I have been thinkinking about getting a setup such as this for starters before jumping right up to casting gaurds & such.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 05:13:49 PM »
They would make the molds of clay and then bake them  and smoke the surfaces. They also did it with plaster.

Jerry, does this mean you could use the mold more than once?

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.