Author Topic: Bismuth Shot  (Read 7924 times)

Daryl

Bismuth Shot
« on: May 19, 2009, 09:03:01 PM »
I have been advised by another member that there is a fellow making Bismuth shot. http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=158840&start=20  Not sure if this counters post rules (should know, I guess). The fellow making it isn't a member here - this is for reference to those interested in a non-marring shot for their smoothies and need something that will allow them to wing-shoot birds in toxic-sensitive areas. I see this as an aid to those people and therefore should be allowed.
I don't know if there are any patent violations, etc. Yur on yur own.

Steve-In

Re: Bismuth Shot
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 06:44:15 AM »
Thank you.  I relayed this info to my brother, we may split a couple of sizes.    He tells me that you may want to use a regular lead shot cup with this stuff.  Also it shot the same a lead loads so you just need to confirm performance with the more expensive bismuth.
Steve

docwhite

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 09:00:27 PM »
I have been using Bismuth for years in both modern shotshells and in my soft barreled muzzleloading shotguns (too soft for steel that is) for waterfowl hunting. It all started when lead was banned for waterfowl, I had a roomful of Federal lead 2 1/4 oz loads for a ten gauge. I discovered that I could pull the lead shot, replace with Bismuth same size, replace the filler and get great patterns and distance. It turns out that the space needed for 2 1/4 of lead is exactly 2 oz Bismuth. The lighter load shoots a little faster, slows a little quicker becaause of lower BC, but seems to function the same. This prompted me to use it in other muzzleloading shotguns, especially the precious antiques (I won't own an antique unless I can shoot it) I use the same weight, which means 9% more volume, of Bismuth as I ordinarily would lead. Seems to work about the same, functionally can't tell any difference. It makes a duck or goose expensive, but it's far better than leaving the muzzleloader home. DOC

northmn

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 09:01:37 PM »
Cabela's still advertised Bis-Maxx shot so that it is commercially available.  I have used it in a BP cartridge shotgun to some extent without plastic.  One could also use it with a paper wrapper.  At this time the suppliers like Ballistic products and Precision Reloaders do not handle it for reloading.  Likely because of the lack of supply and customer problems afterward.

DP

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 04:59:46 PM »
Nice to see you back, Doc.

We used to use similar practises for rifle practise and in some cases, match loads - "Mexican Handloads" they were called, pulling the 147gr. military bullets and inserting 150gr. match bullets in 7.62x51.

Replacing bismuth for lead would be an excellent route to take & as you found, works well.  I might be a bit concerned about really cold weather shooting though, as ignition might not be as good as it should due to the lighter, more easily started pay-load. Poor ignition spells squibs or bloopers and can be dangerous unless stuck wads are cleared from the barrel.

northmn

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 06:26:15 PM »
Bismuth is about one shot size in weight lighter than lead as compared to steel which is about 2.  This is in a commonly used range of loads from about 4's to BB's.  A steel 6 is about the same weight as a lead 7 and a 5 about like a lead 6 1/2.  As to loading cartridge cases, you might find a problem due to volume with Bismuth in replacing Bismuth for lead in a factory loaded case.  In a ML you just load the weight.  I load the weight in my BP cartridges.  It works pretty good and the Bismuth I have is considered about equivalent to high grade mag shot.  At its start it was some interesting stuff.  One batch I saw varied from about4-6 and was not overly round.  It still worked at normal ranges.  They have since added enough tin to make it more malleable and prevent disintegration of the bottom pellets.  Still it may work best in more "square" loading. 

DP