Author Topic: Engraving advice  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Engraving advice
« on: July 04, 2018, 07:16:03 AM »
Tonight was my first try at engraving.  I wanted to see if it was something that could end up being doable with practice. I glued a 1/8 in square piece of HSS in a wooden handle, sharpened it at a 45 degree angle and then put an approximate 15 degree angle for the heal.  I then used a tiny hammer to tap out some lines.  I’ve been reading that I need to practice strait lines until I have them down, then curved lines.  I tilted it some to see what it would do and messed around with it until my back and neck started hurting. How long is a good graver?  I think mine is too small. Do any of you have any advice for practice shapes?  I plan to get the Lindsey graver sharpening templates and bench stones soon. 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Engraving advice
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 12:42:45 PM »
Go take an engraving class.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline KC

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 02:21:45 PM »
Buy Schippers book on historic arms engraving. Someone posted that it’s on sale at Crazy Crowe right now. It’s a good book to have. Then do what Mike said.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 02:30:50 PM »
Yes engraving is doable but it doesn’t happen overnight. Mike’s suggestion is the best advice you can get. Taking a few classes will save you years of time and you will be much happier with your results. Reading books can give you an idea but they can not tell you if you are doing it right. I recommend the classes that GRS gives. Take the beginner class and learn the basics then take the intermediate class and you will be on your way much quicker.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 02:47:58 PM »
Hi,
Without a picture of your graver, I cannot really tell if it is ground and sharpened correctly.  Regardless, I suggest you draw or scribe straight lines on your plate and then follow them with the graver. Do some 3-5" long to learn to cut evenly.  Then scribe some curves, ovals, and circles and cut those.  The key point is to learn to control the graver so you can closely follow any design you draw or transfer to the metal. This will develop tool discipline much faster than random cutting on the plate.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 06:59:32 PM »
And cold rolled steel is much easier to cut (more forgiving) than brass.
John Robbins

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 07:35:44 PM »
 When you cut a straight line scribe it fist so you will have something to follow. Always look at the face of the graver not down from the back side.  Shipper's book.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 08:08:07 PM »
Enrolling in the engraving classes of your choice is the best route AV. Otherwise you are kind of lost in the woods on proper sharpening, techniques and confidence about how to proceed. Acer gave a great class on hammer engraving last year at Ian Pratt's Ohio workshop. As Bama mentioned GRS is certainly on the list, one thing about them is they tend to want to move you into the machine assisted side of engraving, their classes are excellent.

I attended Acer's class last year - I did not come out of it an accomplished engraver, but I learned a great deal in a short time and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I now have total confidence in shaping a graver, confidence in my approach to hammer engraving and feel I have a solid foundation in it. Getting better is entirely up to me, I have no excuses not to.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 08:58:23 PM »
All the advice you are getting here is dead on. I tried engraving for years on my own and the results were awful. Never improved because I didn't know what I was doing wrong or what was right. Then, I took an engraving class at the NMLRA Gunsmithing seminar at WKU. I can't say I walked out an accomplished engraver but I was light years ahead of where I was. Then, I was able to practice using the information from the class and today, I feel comfortable engraving any Colonial American longrifle. Seriously, take a class. Also, start practicing drawing scrolls every chance you get. That alone can take a while to get right and you can't engrave what you can't draw.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 02:22:28 AM »
You might want to look at  The Art of Engraving, James B. Meek, ©1973
Aimed at modern work.
Serious book.

Engraving Class? I am in awe of those who can find one, then find time and $$ to take it.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 02:48:21 AM »
Thanks for all the info everyone. I’m in the same boat.  I’d love to take a class and the GI bill, VA VoC Rehab or the state VA would pay for it but with my schedule,  it would be tough.  I’m going to purchase the Lindsey ingraving system and try my luck at learning the hard way.  I plan to retire soon and maybe then I can take a course.  Thanks again for all the pointers. I truely appreciate it.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 02:54:22 AM »
Hi JC,
Unfortunately, Meek's book is not very useful.  Schipper's book is a much better investment. If you are serious about engraving you will find time and money to take a class or will spend the time learning to engrave on your own but in a disciplined fashion.  Meek's book won't get you very far down the road.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 04:43:35 AM »
Enrolling in the engraving classes of your choice is the best route AV. Otherwise you are kind of lost in the woods on proper sharpening, techniques and confidence about how to proceed. Acer gave a great class on hammer engraving last year at Ian Pratt's Ohio workshop. As Bama mentioned GRS is certainly on the list, one thing about them is they tend to want to move you into the machine assisted side of engraving, their classes are excellent.

I attended Acer's class last year - I did not come out of it an accomplished engraver, but I learned a great deal in a short time and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I now have total confidence in shaping a graver, confidence in my approach to hammer engraving and feel I have a solid foundation in it. Getting better is entirely up to me, I have no excuses not to.

dave

Acer is teaching the class again this year 21 - 23 Sept.  A friend and I are traveling up from Florida for it and are looking forward to it.  There may still be some slots available in this year's class.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 05:49:54 AM »
I'll be going to the Sept. 21-23 workshop too.  It's is full, but they have added a second workshop Sept. 24-26.  I don't know if it is full yet or not.  https://www.southernohioartisanworkshops.com/engraving-workshop.html

-Ron

Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2018, 06:55:24 AM »
That class in Jackson, Ohio is 50 minutes from my home. .  That’s closer than driving to work. I’m definitely interested in that.  Thanks again for the information. 

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2018, 01:48:12 PM »
I bought Schipper's book, and am very impressed with it. It is well worth the money!
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2018, 04:26:29 PM »
Avet, all good advice you have received from the guys. If you do buy the Lindsay system, a very good system, you will have a pretty good investment in your equipment. If you will invest the same amount of money in some good instruction you will be much happier with your engraving much sooner. I am no expert engraver but I am no longer a beginner either, all I know is where I struggled and where I got the best bang for my buck in the classes I took. I have the Lindsay Palm graver and I am very pleased with it. The H&C classes are great if you are going to do H&C but the method is a little different than if you are going to use the Lindsay. Sharpening is different and overall graver geometry is different, the basic's are still pretty close but the two methods are different enough that at first mixing the two could be a little confusing. I have tried H&C and can do it but it is much harder on my hands and my back and shoulders. Doing H&C I can engrave for about 4 hours and I am hurting. I can engrave with my Lindsay for 8 hours and not hurt a bit so for me doing H&C is not worth the pain. I just turned 66 so I am not a young buck and that probably has something to do with it to. Many of the builders use air assisted hand piece, there is nothing wrong with it. If you talk with John Shippers he will tell you that even he has switched over to one. Yes it is not the way it was done by the old masters and some have to do it that way and I applaud them and admire them but for me I want to do my best work and I feel I can do better work with the air assist.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2018, 04:35:55 PM »
Afgahn, hope to see you there.
Got Schipper's book a few months back, and it is truly a manual for learning how to engrave.
Meek's book is good, but lacks depth, for lack of a better term.

Hope by late September to have healed/recouped enough to attend that second class.  Surgery is scheduled for 7/16.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline runastav

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 12:18:46 PM »
Hi, here is my Learning Study materials so far !
Runar