Author Topic: Get together for shooting in Iowa at Fleener's  (Read 3185 times)

Offline snapper

Re: Get together for shooting in Iowa at Fleener's
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2018, 02:58:19 AM »
I have a buddy that is Amish, and he and his oldest son are planning on coming.  They are good folks, he is a little nervous about coming.  So everyone will need to behave. 

No horse and buggy.  I told him I would pick him up and take him home.

I got him shooting a ML a couple of years ago.  He does it mostly for deer hunting.  But at least he is coming to shoot it and have fun.

Mike if you have  a .22 rifle,  bring it.  I setup buffaloes at 75 yards, got 50 of them.  great fun to shoot them.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2018, 03:43:14 AM »
All y'all are making me wish I was real close to Iowa!  Love shooting get-togethers, lots of chat, new friends, and LOTS of powder smoke!

I have a few Amish friends here in north-west Ohio.  They all love the shooting sports, and most have muzzle loaders.  I think the majority are using .54 cal.  I usually take my American Rifleman and Muzzle Blasts over to them - they are appreciated.  I belong to a rifle range group here, and from time to time, take a friend along.  And they are ALL interested in the flinter I am building.

Sometimes, if I ain't hurting too much, I do go to church with them - and the great meal afterward.  We are not too different religion-wise, but I am NOT going to give up my computer and car!

So, take your Amish friend along, and let him get the powder smoke and building addiction!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2018, 04:20:27 PM »
Gordon

you must have a simple bucket list........

Say Hi to her for me.  It was great to see her last year.

AU and NZ were the tops of my travel list, got that out of the way.

Fleener
Art we had our farm weekend this last two days, hosted by a lovely old retired couple and long time club members. A 100 acre hobby far west of the town of York. Here is a shot of four of us, I am on the left wearing a dead possum !!

Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline snapper

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2018, 10:33:09 PM »
Looks like you had a good time in AU!

We got around 7.5 inches of rain in a week or so.  It rained on Thursday and most of Friday.  Friday late afternoon the rain stopped and was done.  It was nice and cool for sleeping.

Ground was saturated.  Not too muddy, could of been worse.  We have been having a drought so the rain was very much needed.

Mike Brooks:  we missed you.  I was hoping to hear some new stories around the camp fire and to be able to tell some my stories to a guy that aint heard them before.  I was hoping for catfish for supper on Friday night, but no one wanted to go with me to catch some out of the pond, figured if you were there you would of jumped at the chance.

No fist fights, no one got hurt, did not have to use the tractor to drag anyone out of the mud, it was a success.

fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2018, 10:41:30 PM »
Disappointed I couldn't make it. Would have had to drive the old '89 Ford and the alternator is acting up, lets the battery go dead from time to time...at least I think it's the alternator. ??? If I would have made it it would have been Saturday for 5 or 6 hours is all, too much going on around here to get away much longer. Anyway, maybe next year.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?