Author Topic: Re lining a ringed barrel?  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Dave B

Re lining a ringed barrel?
« on: September 01, 2018, 08:44:18 PM »
 I wanted to ask to see what others think about this scenario.  I found that one of my rifles has a noticeable loos spot in the bore. Its about 8" forward of the breach. It is not bulged on the out side of the barrel when I measure the barrel. So if I was to put a liner in the barrel would that solve the safety issue ? It is a green mountain barrel 15/16" .45 cal. I was thinking of having a 50 cal. liner installed  so the ring weather corroded in or bulged. I do have a 54 cal barrel blank that I can make up to drop into the stock using the breach for the new barrel but thought it may be saved by the relining. What do the troops think?
Dave Blaisdell

Steve-In

Re: Re lining a ringed barrel?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 08:57:34 PM »
I would get the cost of the reline first. 
I am thinking you would be better off cost wise just replacing the barrel.
I think the reline would not be a problem for someone with the right tools.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 09:27:14 PM »
I'm missing something Dave,

Why reline if going to .54?   Just get it bored out and rifled.
It may be fine as it is as well. 

Best,
R.

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 10:17:51 PM »
There is plenty of "Meat" in the barrel to just rebore to .54.  Call Bobby Hoyt!
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 10:18:20 PM »
I was thinking that if the metal is already stressed in that spot it may if put under similar circumstance  fail at that point. The liner would contain the over pressure to my thinking but wanted opinions.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 10:19:34 PM »
Bobby Hoyt would be the one to talk to for sure. Thanks for the input
Dave Blaisdell

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 02:17:04 AM »
One of my friends short started his forty cal. 13/16 inch rifle barrel and fired it.  It made a ring, or a noticeable loose spot inside the barrel.  The strange thing is there was no sign of it on the outside of the barrel.  That was forty years ago.  The rifle shot just as good as it did when it was new, and he is still shooting it today.  This man was a national competitor and  won a lot of national matches with  that same rifle after it had the ring in it.

David Price

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 02:26:35 AM »
Am I missing something here? I thought you said it was a a straight 15/16ths inch .45 caliber barrel. If that is correct, why mess with an iffy barrel? A barrel in that configuration should be pretty cheap compared to fooling around with a liner, and worrying about stress damage.

Hungry Horse

Offline kutter

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 03:53:22 AM »
Liners are priced by the inch.  They run approx $6 (and up) in the size you are looking at.
So for a 48" long bbl, the liner alone would excede the price of a new bbl I believe. ($275/300 depending on bbl length)
Then you haven't figured in the labor & shipping costs back and forth to get the work done.

I'd consider the safety issue too with the ring being close to the breech end of the bbl.
Most bbl are 12L14 and not the most stout material to have undergone overstressing and then put back to reuse. Especially right in front of my eyes, face and fingers. Maybe that's just old, somewhat careful me talking. but something to consider.

I'd fit the 54cal bbl up that you have and use that.

As for the ringed 45cal bbl.
Set it aside for now.
Perhaps the thoughts of reaming it smooth bore and use it that way come to mind (they are actually quite accurate)

BUT, that stressed area 8" in front of the breach tells me NO. Making the walls even thinner by reaming smooth bore, just like the above lining, or rebore-rerifleing would just not be prudent in this case IMO.
 If the ring was 8" from the muzzle, that's be a different situation.

I'd simply save what you can of it for a short rifle project or a pistol or two. Elliminating the ringed portion.
..Or Sell it As-Is. Some one will buy it for the right price thinking of the same projects.

It doesn't have to go to waste

Offline Dave B

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 06:06:59 AM »
Thanks for the responses. I will rebarrel the rifle with the new .54 barrel and cut the ring out of the other and make a short rifle from the left over section that will be 32" long  and make a pistol from the left over section on the other side of the ring. If I play my cards right maybe the start of the ring at the muzzle end will aid in loading. :o
Dave Blaisdell

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 06:24:13 PM »
For about $125 Bob Hoyt will bore and re rifle for you.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline 45-110

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 09:51:06 PM »
depending on the severity of the loose spot, if the rifle still shoots accurately leave it be? i have had several ringed barrels that shot just fine, its just knowing the anomaly is there that bugged me.
best kw

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 10:24:16 PM »
For about $125 Bob Hoyt will bore and re rifle for you.
He will put in a liner for only slightly more. I have had him put liners in  a couple rung barrels for me over the years. Funny thing, a rung barrel usually shoots just fine, no reason to do anything about it, it just bugs the owner so bad he feels he MUST do something to fix it.
 The real advantage of a reline or rebore of a new barrel is all your lugs, sights, breech plug and finish are present and don't have to be done over. Just get your lined/rebored barrel back and pop it in and you're ready to go again. Easy-peasy.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?