Author Topic: What are you using to get that aged (grey) patina on metal (as in Hershel House  (Read 2005 times)

Offline Huntschool

I am not looking for anyone to give away trade secrets but I would like to finish some parts, barrel etc, with that aged look. 

I have one recipe using bleach but I am not sure I got the whole recipe......

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline alacran

I take it you live in the Shawnee town vicinity. I will be going that way in a couple weeks to visit a friend in Sturgis Ky . I can show you a couple of guns with different "patinas" and explain how I achieved them.
When I get back to IL. I 'll PM you a note and give you a more specific  time frame.
Guido Guinart
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline P.Bigham

I believe Hershel boils parts in bleach water. 
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline moleeyes36

I am not looking for anyone to give away trade secrets but I would like to finish some parts, barrel etc, with that aged look. 

I have one recipe using bleach but I am not sure I got the whole recipe......

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Bruce,

I've often used Jim Kibler's patina solution https://kiblerslongrifles.com/collections/finishing-supplies/products/patina-solution  It can be rubbed back to whatever shade you want and applied to give a more mottled appearance if desired.  It's very quick and easy to use.  It's what I used on all the metal on this rifle, including the barrel.   http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=41781.0

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Turtle

if you apply phosphoric acid like creating French grey, but don't wipe it off right away you quickly get a real patina look.

Offline Huntschool

Thanks everyone for the comments.  I knew bleach was involved but I thought there was something else added.

I have never tried Kibler's stuff but it looks interesting.

Alacran:  I am 45 minutes from Old Shawneetown.  Let me know and we'll see how our schedules work out.  If you can tell me where you are coming from there may be a better place to meet.

Thanks again guys......
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA