Author Topic: Trigger pin position...lesson learned  (Read 1694 times)

Offline scottmc

Trigger pin position...lesson learned
« on: August 29, 2018, 08:27:13 PM »
A little over a year ago I built a Beck and have always found the pull tough (but crisp).  I had Brad Emig tune the lock but he commented that the only way to improve the pull was to install a new trigger and position the trigger pin 1/2" forward of the sear make sure the angle of the trigger follows the angle of the sear.  I reinstalled a new trigger today into shop using these guidelines and was pleasantly surprised at the reduction in force required to trip it.  It went from about 3lbs to 1.5 lbs.  Unbelievable to me.  My original location was about 3/4" in front of the sear and on the same plane as the sear.  I moved it up to about the bottom edge of the sear screw and a 1/2" in front.  Bingo!  I called Brad and asked him if I could give him a phone hug for his advice.  He's a great human being and never hesitant to share his knowledge.  Perhaps this information will help a few apprentices here such as myself.  This the rifle.

Remember Paoli!

Offline FALout

Re: Trigger pin position...lesson learned
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 12:34:23 PM »
I’ve had great results from following the guide lines from the books “the gunsmith of grenville county” and “recreating the American longrifle”.  Both books show where the best placement is and why.  I’ve had such good single trigger pulls that I hardly use set triggers.
Bob

Offline scottmc

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 04:14:29 PM »
I have that book but don't remember any specifics like Brad provided to me.  I'll have to go back and take a closer look at that section.  But you are right, why use set triggers when u can get a nice pull with a single unless you are trying imitate an original or type such as a southern mountain rifle.
Remember Paoli!

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 07:52:08 PM »
Nice rifle and a great shot on that ground hog ;) 8)!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline scottmc

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 02:09:14 PM »
Thanks PW.  This was the second time out sighting in.  He pops out and  I guess it just wasn't his day. :)
Remember Paoli!

Offline scottmc

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 05:21:07 PM »
I sadly discovered a problem with my lock/trigger this past weekend while at a shoot.  The gun can be fired on half cock.  I filed the trigger down some more so there is play at half cock so I know it is fully engaging in half cock.  Has anybody ever experienced this before and are there any solutions?  When I pull back on the trigger, u can see the hammer go back a little and then releases and drop.  It takes all of about 10 lbs of pull to do this but it happens.  Any advice anyone can offer?
Remember Paoli!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 06:17:03 PM »
Sounds as though the sear and half cock notch do not have the correct angles.  If you draw a line on the tumbler from the axle to the half cock notch to make a radius, the notch must be more acute than that. 

Andover, Vermont

Offline scottmc

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 05:05:47 AM »
Thanks for the advice Rich.  I'm  taking it to Brad Emig tomorrow and ill pass along your thoughts as well.  He seems to think something is against the wood but I'm pretty certain that isn't the problem.  We'll  see.
Remember Paoli!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 06:42:25 AM »
Brad is the pro when it comes to locks and many other things.  I love his work.   It sure could be that the sear is not settling in all the way into the half cock notch because it’s not free to move in the inlet.
Andover, Vermont