Author Topic: Sideplate assistance needed  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Craig Wilcox

Sideplate assistance needed
« on: September 18, 2018, 03:18:05 AM »
Been doing a lot of adding things on to my build, like trigger plate, trigger guard, tang bolt.  And would love to add the side plate.  I have the top hole (goes through the tang) through the wood and all, and threaded into the lock plate.

But, before I drill the holes in the side plate, I would like to make the counter-bore for the heads of the #8 screws.

Does anyone have a source for a 3/8" counter-bore with a #8 stud or drill bit for centering?  I looked at McMaster-Carr, with negative results.  And a couple other machine tool type sites.

Thanks in advance.
Craig
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline PrairieD

• Starting Member
Re: Sideplate assistance needed
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 06:05:34 AM »
Hello Craig! Check out The Yard Store in Wichita, KS --  www.yardstore.com -- and look under "Counterbores - Spotfacers" -- they have a 3/8" spotfacer that takes a 3/32" pilot

https://www.yardstore.com/consumables/countersinks/counterbores-spotfacers/counterbore-spotfacer-3-8-x-3-32

The Yard handles a lot of the surplus tools from Boeing/Spirit...

Mike C.
Pretty Prairie, KS

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 06:25:32 AM »
From McMaster Carr, purchase a 3/8" counterbore with a changeable pilot.  If you get the counterbore, part # (3102A14) for $25, and then do one of two options for the pilot.  Either get a smaller pilot than the 0.164 you need for a #8 screw (i.e. a 5/32" pilot (0.156"     Part # 3103A12) and under drill the side plate with a 5/32" hole until you get the 3/8" counterbore in place.  Then drill the 5/32" hole out to the 0.164 you need for the #8 screw.  Second option is to get a 3/16" pilot (part # 3103A13    0.187" diameter) and turn it down to the 0.164" you need and counterbore the side plate with that.  If you don't have a lathe, you can turn down the larger pilot by chucking it up in a drill press and using a file to reduce the diameter.  If you do have a lathe, or access to one, you can simply make your own pilot for the counterbore.  I make my own pilots out of brass and use these replaceable pilot counterbores all the time as I sometimes need a 3/8" bore around a clearance hole for a #8 or #10 or even a #12 screw....so I just change pilots.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 04:10:54 PM »
Been doing a lot of adding things on to my build, like trigger plate, trigger guard, tang bolt.  And would love to add the side plate.  I have the top hole (goes through the tang) through the wood and all, and threaded into the lock plate.

But, before I drill the holes in the side plate, I would like to make the counter-bore for the heads of the #8 screws.

Does anyone have a source for a 3/8" counter-bore with a #8 stud or drill bit for centering?  I looked at McMaster-Carr, with negative results.  And a couple other machine tool type sites.

Thanks in advance.
Craig

Are you going to counter sink your sideplate/lock bolts?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 04:29:06 PM »
Thanks, guys - that should take care of the problem.

Yes Mike, I will counterbore and also reduce the head height a bit.  I do like the look of a counterbore.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 04:38:50 PM »
Thanks, guys - that should take care of the problem.

Yes Mike, I will counterbore and also reduce the head height a bit.  I do like the look of a counterbore.
Most all lock bolts were not counterbored on American guns.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Frank

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 04:48:33 PM »
Never counter bore my side plates.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 05:49:47 PM »
Counter bored sideplate screws are pretty much seen on cheap kit guns, rather than genuine antiques.

Hungry Horse

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 05:51:40 AM »
Well, I must not be an old dog - 'cause I am learning new stuff every day.  Y'all just saved me some money!

I will, however, decrease the thickness of the head on those bolts.

Many thanks!
Craig Wilcox