Author Topic: North Carolina Longrifle Schools #3 The Guilford - Jamestown School Part 1-B  (Read 3683 times)

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
Over the last thirty years three early Longrifles have surfaced signed T.G. & W.L.  One of these was re-stocked during the period of use that I purchased just to get the barrel.  We will take a quick look at these.

I purchased this first Longrifle over 25 years ago from a collector in Statesville, N.C.

Cheek rest side view.

Here is how the Longrifle is signed.  Note that the G. is upside down.  I imagine that young William Lamb got quite a cussing out for this mistake, remember Thaddeus was known for his excessive profanity.

Here is the barrel from the re-stocked T.G. & W.L. Longrifle that I purchased.  William got this one right.

Here are a few photos of the third T.G. & W.L. Longrifle that has surfaced. (I think probably more exist, but this is all that any of us local collectors have seen so far.)  This rifle has a slightly different stock architecture with a small beaver tail tab on the comb as usually found on Salem School and Davidson School Longrifles.

Comb view.

Two screw side plate.

Cheek rest with pick holder.

William Lamb went on to become a master gunsmith in his own right and made many wonderful Longrifles, a number of which survive today. He built his first gun shop at the intersection of present day Hwy 68 and Gallimore Dairy Road, which is only 300 yards from his uncle's Thaddeus Gardner's Mill and Shop.  He stayed there until 1844 when he purchased 33 acres of land on Deep River and built a water powered barrel mill and gun shop with Anderson Lamb. This is about 4 miles South of his first shop.  I have read in several books and articles over the years that the two were brothers, but I have been able to prove that they were actually brother in-laws.  William married Anderson's older sister, Frances Lamb.  William taught Anderson to make rifles and they were partners for 3 years.  There are a few Longrifles and one flint pistol that are signed A. & W. Lamb that came from this partnership.  Anderson would go on to become the most prolific Jamestown Gunsmith as more of his rifles survive than of any other maker.

William Lamb was known locally as Capt. Billy.  Over the years he had a number of partners and apprentices including Jabez Stephens, Henry Wright, his sons Henry Clarkson Lamb (born 1829 and later Confederate Contractor H.C. Lamb & Co.), Jesse G. Lamb (born 1831), Obed M. Dixon, B. Franklin Briggs, Phillip Jean, Francis Ledbetter, Emsiah Trogden, and John Ward.

In the 1850 census he is listed as owning a barrel mill with Henry Wright, employing 4 men with monthly wages of $60, equipped with water power, using 4,000 pounds of iron and 1,600 bushels of coal to make 400 rifle barrels annually.    

Here are some photos of a W. Lamb signed Longrifle that I purchased recently in New England.  It is one of the better examples of his work.  I believe this rifle was made in the late 1820's or around 1830 due to the stock architecture.

Guilford twisted star or daisy patchbox.

Lock mortise with original flintlock.

Comb architecture, cheek rest, pick holder.

side plate

Comb decoration.

Barrel signed on side flat.

Silver worked into brass on butt plate, entry pipe and all ram rod thimbles.

Toe plate with hidden patchbox release.

Note: nose cap, inlay with false silver wedge, ram rod thimble and original ram-rod.

Broken or interrupted fore-stock molding and inlay with false silver wedge.

Here is a wonderful example of his later work.  Around 1840, most Jamestown Longrifles were made as half-stocks with percussion locks.  This longrifle is in great condition.

This rifle is all silver mounted with silver cap box and Christian Silver fish inlays.

This rifle has the typical Jamestown Double dove-tail front site. It is the only W. Lamb I have seen with this feature.

W. Lamb stamp on barrel.

Typical long, round ended, three screw barrel tang.

Full Silver side plate, this was top of the line for 1850.

After William brought his two sons into the business in the mid 1850's he changed his stamp to W. Lamb & Sons.  I have seen two rifles with this stamp that were Full-stock and Flintlock which showed you can still order either up to 1860 if that was what you wanted.

It also has a full silver side plate.

Cheek rest side view.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 08:47:05 PM by mbriggs »
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Another nice grouping of North Carolina rifles, shared with the public for educational purposes. The silver work and large inlay headed nails always catch my eye, as do the very different geometrical shape of the inlays. They sure didn't follow the more traditional efforts of the northen makers. This has been a great series of rifles, and explanations of details. The only down side to all Mike's efforts is that more people will now get interested in these great southen gun, so there will be fewer for Mike to chase and have fun with.  Shelby Gallien

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
Hi Shelby,
I do hope that more people on here will get interested in collecting these North Carolina Longrifles.  I recently listed four great local Longrifles in the for sale section of this web site and never received a single response from anyone.  I am taking all of them to the KRA next week and hope to sell them there.

As far as not being able to find more, I figure they made over 20,000 rifles in this School, at least 25% must have survived.  I have owned 130 of them and seen close to 1,000 over the last thirty years.  That means there is still at least 4,000 out there I have not seen yet.  I hope the next twenty years are very productive.

I am glad that you enjoy my article and appreciate the time it took to create it.

Michael Briggs 
C. Michael Briggs