Author Topic: where to get a stock copied  (Read 2632 times)

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
where to get a stock copied
« on: October 22, 2018, 04:25:53 AM »
Hello all, I have a cherry rifle I just finished,and like the pattern well enough to want to build a few more like it. Where can I get  it duplicated? Pecatonica,or ? Thanks for your help. Dave 8) 8)

Offline J. Talbert

Re: where to get a stock copied
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 06:26:05 AM »
I don't know if he can do it, but I'd check with Dave Keck @ Knob Mountain Muzzleloading.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 07:07:26 AM »
If you're not looking for a precarved stock, make your own.  The pattern is right in front of you.
Have the barrel inlet into a plank, and trace out the existing gun.
The barrel is the hardest part.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 04:19:05 PM »
Mark Weader
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 04:31:21 PM »
Thanks Mike,and all. Please pm me his contact info
I am of necessity going to precarves,my carpal tunnel and sore hands don't like the extra work building from blank. it is a major source of annoyance, hope to get corrective surgery this coming year,but who knows.
I have found I can still enjoy building a precarve made to my needs. I will most likely inlet my own locks,etc.
Have a good one,guys. Dave 8) 8)

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 08:02:36 AM »
I'm interested too mountainman 70. I have degenerative joint disease in my shoulders and can no longer file or rasp for any period of time. But I think I could do a precarve. I have one I really like and getting it copied sounds like a winner. That is, if I could go through with sending this thin piece of wood off to a total stranger.
Please PM me whatever information you get.
Thanks, Ron
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 04:45:24 PM »
Thanks Ron,and all. The rifle I want to get copied I built from a plank,and even with the help of Bob W's bandsaw,and having the barrel and rr cut in by Pecatonica, it still like to have worn my hands out.
On the other side of that, the  54Hawken I built from a precarve/inlet and posted on here a while back, was much easier on the hands,even with all the mechanical fitting that goes with a Hawken build.It is also the build I kept time on.Dont feel the need to time them anymore, just once was enough.
Soon as I get some time I will be checking into this idea. Best regards to all, Dave F 8) 8)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 04:54:15 PM »
I'm falling all apart as well but I'm still finding new ways to keep building guns from a plank. With my new methods  I'll still be able to do this quite a while.

1) angle grinder with a course sandpaper disc. Removes wood fast, also gets you in trouble fast if you can't naturally see the architecture you need. This tool is NOT for the faint of heart! I still have to rasp, but about as much as with a Chamber's kit.

2) I recently discovered my belt sander with a fine grit belt will do a fine job on those awful Colerain barrels. Still have to draw file, but not bad. Gotta be careful to keep it square.

The most bothersome thing now is unbelievably sanding. Aggravates my shoulders no end. I'm not looking for a mechanical assist on this one, just can't get the same "look" or results. Of course getting my barrels and RR channels done by somebody else has probably kept me in the game years past when I would have had to quit.  Filling out mounts is still a problem as well, I don't think there is anyway around this either. As I was in the process of falling apart gun building wasn't very enjoyable anymore. Now, with my discoveries it's fun again, so don't give up.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline little joe

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 05:59:20 PM »
I'm falling all apart as well but I'm still finding new ways to keep building guns from a plank. With my new methods  I'll still be able to do this quite a while.

1) angle grinder with a course sandpaper disc. Removes wood fast, also gets you in trouble fast if you can't naturally see the architecture you need. This tool is NOT for the faint of heart! I still have to rasp, but about as much as with a Chamber's kit.

2) I recently discovered my belt sander with a fine grit belt will do a fine job on those awful Colerain barrels. Still have to draw file, but not bad. Gotta be careful to keep it square.

The most bothersome thing now is unbelievably sanding. Aggravates my shoulders no end. I'm not looking for a mechanical assist on this one, just can't get the same "look" or results. Of course getting my barrels and RR channels done by somebody else has probably kept me in the game years past when I would have had to quit.  Filling out mounts is still a problem as well, I don't think there is anyway around this either. As I was in the process of falling apart gun building wasn't very enjoyable anymore. Now, with my discoveries it's fun again, so don't give up.
  Mike  I,m in the same boat as you only a bit older. (76)Have used a angle grinder for years.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 06:30:31 PM »
Mike, I have used a random orbital sander for years.  It is possible to shape a lot of the wood with 220, then use a 320 disk to smooth.  You still have to use care, but it seems much easier on the hands and shoulders.  I use a 5", with 8 holes, available almost any hardware store.  I have seen some 600 discs, but I mostly use the 220 and 320.  For work other than rifles, I usually have a few coarser ones.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 02:08:09 AM »
   Mike I can relate very well. Having 5 vertebra fused,pinned an seven arm an shoulder operations. Really messed you up. I use pretty much what you do. But for brass I use David Rases fixture and a dremal tool. It helps a lot.
Then light touch.up filing. Hope this Idea helps.  Oldtravler

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 04:42:03 AM »
As long as we are cheating a power planer will take of wood fast but also keep it level. 

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 06:00:52 AM »
Pm sent, Mike.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline M. E. Pering

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 06:21:05 AM »
Scota4570... Nah... It isn't cheating.  I have never built a gun without the aid of power tools.  For instance, I always use a bandsaw to profile my stocks.  I have used a hand-held belt sander for some shaping operations too.  It is only cheating when you present a rifle as having been built using entirely ancient methods when you didn't.  I use traditional methods when it is practical.  I use modern tools when it makes sense.  But I can say, that every visible part of the guns I build were not touched by power tools.  My engraving is done with a hammer and graver, my wood is scraped or sanded, and in certain areas, the chisel has done the work. 

But if someone came to me and asked if I could make them a gun using entirely ancient methods, I would reply, "Oh course.  But you do realize this is going to increase the cost by a factor of 4-5 times due to extra labor?".

And this is the problem with using totally traditional methods.  I try and use traditional methods when I can, but often, they are impractical.  I have a fine mill that I could use to do most of my barrel inletting, but I don't.  Because this is one area that I believe should be done by hand.  My main reason for that is so that I can get acquainted with the particular piece of wood I am cutting.  This is more important than it might seem at first.  But when it comes to shaping and carving later, I will know the grain shifts and turns, and how the wood reacts to having parts of it removed, and the hard and softer areas.  The more you know about your wood before you lay chisel to it, the better.

Nobody should think of using power tools as cheating... I guarantee you... If the ancient makers had been so fortunate as to have them, they would have used them too.

M. E. Pering

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 04:12:41 PM »
I used chisels, mallets,  planes and rasps to shape over three hundred gunstocks. I ain't got nothing to prove anymore. I wore my body out doing all that over the years to the point I'm now  in the process of getting rebuild surgeries to even keep moving. Now I have  have had to find new tools to be able to still build guns. If that's cheating then that's just too bad.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2018, 05:04:51 PM »
We all gotta keep on keeping on as best we can!
Andover, Vermont

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2018, 05:16:15 PM »
Mike,and all, my mentor, Bob Walden, is in the same boat,50 years of working guns out of a plank has affected him same way,you should see him with the angle grinder and a piece of hard walnut!!! Looks like PigPen in a brown cloud with a power tool in his hands.
 Now his shoulders are letting him know about it. He just finds ways to keep going.
When I was in my 20s, I was a truck and car mechanic. Didn't dream all that type of work would affect me in the way it has. Heck, back then I didn't think I would make it to 40,much less 66. Most of my friends didn't think so either.
Have a goodun, fellers. Dave
Time to go take a Alleve hahahaha 8) 8)

Offline little joe

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2018, 05:17:03 PM »
As long as we are cheating a power planer will take of wood fast but also keep it level. 

I have used  power tools for years and Do Not consider this cheating as long as I consider myself a contemporary builder of which am.