Author Topic: whats the problem?  (Read 2427 times)

Offline yip

whats the problem?
« on: October 27, 2018, 03:16:25 PM »
 trying to buy a stock blank, seems that there none to be had, the only one that has some is Dunlap and its red Maple i'm looking for a piece of sugar maple 63" long but i've hit a brick wall, where can i get such animal?

Offline WKevinD

Re: whats the problem?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 03:36:24 PM »
Try Tom Forincola in Bellefonte PA.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline flehto

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 03:50:29 PM »
Bought 3 blanks 4 yrs ago from Dunlaps and he assured me that these red maple blanks were hard   and had decent  curl.  I wanted all #7s  but for some reason he recommended # 4s and #5s in addition to one #7. He said I would be pleased w/ the lower grades.  Because I had ordered 3 blanks, a 25% discount applied.

When the blanks arrived. the first thing I checked was the hardness and although the red maple blanks weren't as hard as the harder sugar maple blanks, they were hard and all 3 were  made into  carved LRs. The # 7 had pretty decent curl and the #s  4 & 5 had passable curl which I found acceptable seeing I'm not too concerned w/ the amount of curl....the customer insisted on the # 7.

Also bought some sugar maple blanks from  Tiger Hunt  and Freddie Harrison...his quarter sawn blanks being very expensive.

The first pic is that of the #7 and the lower  pic is of the #4.

50 % of my LR builds were out of red maple, carved up nicely and made decent  LRs. .....Fred

« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 03:54:17 PM by flehto »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 04:29:46 PM »
Put out a WTB add in the for sale section, you'll probably have more stock offers than you can imagine. I tend to keep an eye out and buy good wood when I see it, even if I don't need it at the moment. of course I do that with all parts....
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline yip

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 04:37:05 PM »
 Fred; guess i'll call Dunlap on Mondaay and get me one of them red maples. by the way excellent job on them B/C beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline yip

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 04:38:46 PM »
will try that Mike!

Offline tiswell

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 05:15:24 PM »
+1 on Tom Fornicola. Cleanest wood I have seen. Well planed, jointed and sawed square, well sealed. Great guy, top shelf gun maker! I have his email if you need it.

Bill

Offline yip

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 06:17:46 PM »
tiswell; yeah send email and or ph#  thanks

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 06:51:03 PM »
Here is an email address I have for Tom from about a year ago.
tfornicola@hotmail.com
I was very happy dealing with Tom.
David

Offline tiswell

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 09:27:08 PM »
David has the same email that I have. I was just in touch with him a month or so ago with that email so it is good. Great guy, he should be able to take care of you. I sent a piece of his wood to Jim Kibler for a Colonial rifle. I haven't stained it yet but it is a very nice piece of wood.

Offline alacran

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 02:55:15 PM »
You may want to try Troy Sweeny. He is an ALR member. Both Dunlap, and Kibler get wood from him.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline yip

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 03:12:06 PM »
Alacran; do you have his email? been searching members and no luck

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2018, 03:57:18 PM »
Search for Sweeney.

Offline yip

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 03:28:22 PM »
  thanks fellows had sucess with Tim Fornicola here in Pa, great looking stock!!!!!!

Offline t.caster

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 05:16:37 PM »
Flehto...I think you could make spalding !$@!-elm look good!

I agree, you don't have to have sugar maple. Some or most of red maple is hard enough to carve and makes into a beautiful rifle, and is more affordable.
Tom C.