Author Topic: To patch box or not to patchbox that is the question  (Read 1709 times)

KILTED COWBOY

To patch box or not to patchbox that is the question
« on: November 02, 2018, 05:48:29 PM »
Looking at the Colonial rifle kit from Kiblers.
Debating on if I should get it with or without wooden patch box.
How many of y'all actually use the box for storing supplies or do you put everthing in your bags.
I think it would be an accurate representation for a pre rev war rifle either way.
Any thoughts?
Appreciate all the good advice on my first attempt.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: To patch box or not to patchbox that is the question
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 05:57:39 PM »
I keep 2 extra flints, a few patches, a wad of tow, and a tow worm in my patchboxes. I do not find a patchbox handy for use during loading.
Andover, Vermont

Ludo Van den Bussche

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 06:02:29 PM »
Even if I do not use my wooden patch box, I like it on my rifle since it adds character and has more of 'the looks' of an early gun ...

Doc

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 06:48:50 PM »
I personally love the look. I'm going to add an iron cigar style to my next SMR build.  Have to go looking at some old rifles and find out what is correct.

Doc

Davemuzz

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 06:51:31 PM »
I'm in the "I don't care for 'em much" category. I like the looks....but I use my flinter's for hunting and my philosophy is ...the more stuff on it.....the more stuff that can break. Poor Boy rifles are plain jane tools....and I really like the looks of 'em!!

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 06:53:28 PM »
I basically do the same as Rich with my patch boxes.  Shoot out of the bag and keep some "possibles" in the patch box.  I opted for the wooden patch box on my Kibler Colonial.  Love the look.

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline bgf

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 07:18:10 PM »
Most rifles look incomplete without a patchbox to me.  Especially if the wood is extra fancy, that much bare wood is just ugly, and I wonder why the builder used nice wood but was too lazy to put all the parts on.  I know I'm in the minority on that, though.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 07:24:00 PM »
My patchbox holds a flint, tow worm, ball puller and touchhole pick, plus some tow.
Think American Longrifles look better with, but can be made to look fantastic still without.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 07:52:00 PM »
I use my wooden patchbox to store cleaning tools. Less stuff in the bag, less to rummage through when loading. A brass box, though I haven't tried it, seems perfectly designed to carry greased patches and I think would likely speed up the loading process considerably by eliminating several steps needed to retrieve a greased patch from a separate container carried in the pouch.

I feel strongly enough about the utilitarian side of boxes that I even prefer them on modern guns, and were I designing a gun that I expected to depend on for survival a box would be very high on my list of desirable features.

There aren't many Rev-War vintage rifles without a pox, either metal or wood, BTW. The "poor boy" style is largely a post-Revolutionary thing.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

bnail

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 08:46:19 PM »
I concur about the asthetics.  For me i have to see something on the side. 
I have been drawn to the double lidded patchboxes for the in hopes of having both cleaning and loading space
 One day i will have a peanut shaped double pbox longrifle!
A question to piggyback on this would be what learning experience could be gleaned from the addition of the patchbox option?

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 12:52:25 AM »
A sliding wood box is a true characteristic of an early gun.  Even what we would consider schimmels had wood boxes.
You won't regret it.  It just looks right.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 01:29:37 AM »
I really have stayed away from patch boxes.  I truly like the clean lines of most southern guns without them and frankly, throwing HC aside (ouch, did I say that, really), I see the gun to be no less functional nor attractive.  I do not disagree with other posts.....  just me sayin......

Moving right along.....  I am working on two early VA types and of course those guns had P boxes.  Soooooo, I am studying wooden patch boxes as a possible addition.  I have not made any decisions.

Just my opinion....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2018, 01:54:40 AM »
Where else can you keep your Snickers bar?

Actually, several cleaning items, and for the percussion rifle, a nipple tool.

To me, longrifles look naked without a patch box.  But I am old and set in my ways.....
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.