Author Topic: Kibler Colonial rifle with an early brass patchbox ?  (Read 1504 times)

Offline tomjanemc

Kibler Colonial rifle with an early brass patchbox ?
« on: November 05, 2018, 04:49:44 AM »
 I purchased the Kibler 50 caliber Colonial rifle without the sliding wood patchbox and would like to make an early simple brass patchbox for it. I would appreciate input from anyone on style or design of the most appropriate brass patchbox. Has anyone assembled one with a brass patchbox?

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Kibler Colonial rifle with an early brass patchbox ?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 05:28:28 AM »
IIRC John Davidson from Virginia I think used a rather simple in outline brass patch box.  I don't know if that would fit in time wise for your build.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 04:37:25 PM »
Kibler's rifle isn't a representation of a particular school, so I think that any two-piece design would work just so long as it wasn't specific to a particular school - i.e., I won't use one off a Moravian rifle, for example, as those are pretty distinctive. A simple or simple-ish geometric shape, acanthus leaf, or, if you wanted to get folksy, possibly even an very simple animal head might work.

Shumway's Rifles of Colonial America and Kindig's The Kentucky rifle in its Golden Age have a lot of examples to look at.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 07:56:23 PM »
Something like the patchbox on the Free Born Rifle would look very good. That rifle is hard to pin down geographically but is probably close in time to the feel of the Kibler rifle.
Andover, Vermont